Monday, March 16, 2026

Jesse Day 16

4/6

1. Artists such as João Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, and Vinicius de Moraes popularized what musical genre, which emerged in Brazil in the late 1950s blending samba's rhythms with the harmonies of cool jazz and an understated, conversational vocal style?
Correct Answer: BOSSA NOVA
Your Answer: Bossa Nova
Points Assigned: 2

I have a bunch of Bossa Nova albums, but it my head I always thought of them as Brazlian Jazz, so I second gussed myself a bit here.

2. In February 2022, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky reportedly declined a U.S. government offer of evacuation from Kyiv by saying, "The fight is here; I need [BLANK], not a [BLANK]." What two words fill in the blanks in this quote?
Correct Answer: AMMUNITION, RIDE
Your Answer: Weapons taxi
Points Assigned: 1

I remembered the gist of it, but not the actual words. 

3. Scicolone was the birth surname of what film actress, a protégée and later wife of producer Carlo Ponti, who starred in Stanley Kramer's The Pride and the Passion and won an Oscar for Vittorio De Sica's La Ciociara?
Correct Answer: SOPHIA LOREN
Your Answer: Sophia Loren
Points Assigned: 2

I just named the most famous Italian actress I could think of from that time. 

4. In 1931, Kurt Gödel proved that any consistent formal mathematical system capable of basic arithmetic must contain true statements that cannot be proven within that system, and cannot prove its own consistency. His landmark results established what inherent property of such systems, the word used in the name of Gödel's famous theorems?
Correct Answer: INCOMPLETENESS
Your Answer: Dispositive
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea.

5. What vegetable took on its now-familiar color around the 16th and 17th centuries, largely due to Dutch cultivation efforts (though likely not in honor of the Dutch royal house, despite popular claims)?
Correct Answer: CARROT
Your Answer: Carrot
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie!

6. Mudpuppies, olms, newts, sirens, and axolotls are all specific types of an amphibian most commonly known by what name?
Correct Answer: SALAMANDER
Your Answer: Salamander
Points Assigned: 1

I was hoping this was right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment