Last Friday (Day 21) was... not my best. And then I chaperoned a field trip and had no time to come here and vent (the kids keep me away from my laptop fairly well on the weekends, usually).
In particular, I got question 1 wrong--despite knowing Greek and despite "diaspora" being a term I a) teach in my classes; b) quiz my students on; and c) use about 20x a day professionally and politically. I was pretty mad at myself. I only managed Bolsonaro and Futon.
But today was a much better (maybe my best-ever?!) showing:
1. ?✅? I said "Contrapoint" rather than "counterpoint", and I hope that counts. If it does, it will be my first 6/6! Assigned 1.
2. ✅ My thought process: "1967. So Simon and Garfunkel. But who would ever make a movie with them as their soundtrack?" And then, instantly, I could hear "Mrs. Robinson" in my head 😅🤣 That one felt pretty good because on first read I thought I wouldn't get it. Assigned 2
3. ✅ David, this is the first question I just **had** to read to Tom 🤣 We drove the Turnpike nearly every week for years, so this felt like home. Assigned 1 point because my opponent lives in Philly:)
4. ✅ House of Cards. Never watched it, actually, but I remember what a big deal it was. Zero points.
5. ✅ Mumps. My kids' pediatrician has a poster 😬 Assigned 2 points.
6. ✅ This one felt like redemption:) Ironically. Like diaspora, eschatology is *also* a Greek word I teach in my classes. Assigned 3 points, because this is one my students usually haven't heard before.
No comments:
Post a Comment