Thursday, November 10, 2022

Jesse day 4

4/6

1. What five-letter word, taken directly from Latin where it is a third declension noun meaning "likeness" or "appearance", is used in biology for the adult mature stage in the life cycle of an insect after metamorphosis?

Correct Answer: IMAGO
Your Answer: Adult
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. I thought there was a chance this was a trick question.  

2. Earthworks, an art form popular in the late 1960s and 1970s using natural elements in situ, is represented quintessentially by a formation of rock and salt crystal in Utah's Great Salt Lake by sculptor Robert Smithson that has what shape, per its title?
Correct Answer: SPIRAL
Your Answer: Circle
Points Assigned: 2

Nope!

3. "Nun" (always red), "can" (always green), and "junction" (both red and green) are different types of what important navigational aids?
Correct Answer: BUOYS/CHANNEL MARKERS
Your Answer: Buoys
Points Assigned: 1

Initially put flags, but buoys sounded more like buoys, which I knew could be red. 

4. Diced chicken served in a rich cream sauce with sherry, mushrooms, peppers, and pimentos—a dish first introduced (per one origin story) at Delmonico's restaurant in the 1880s—is, per its name, said to be served in what "franglais" manner?
Correct Answer: Ã€ LA KING
Your Answer: Ala King
Points Assigned: 2

The franglais clue made me think of A la right away. It took me a bit to come up with King.

5. Who made history in October 2022 as the first artist to occupy the entire top ten of the Billboard Hot 100 in the same week?
Correct Answer: TAYLOR SWIFT
Your Answer: Swift
Points Assigned: 0

I knew she had a new album and I can't imagine anyone else that popular.

6. "If we do not dare everything, the fulfillment of that prophecy, recreated from the Bible in song by a slave, is upon us: God gave Noah the rainbow sign, No more water, the fire next time!" This is a quote from Down at the Cross: Letter from a Region in My Mind, included in a 1963 collection of works by what Harlem-born intellectual and literary giant?
Correct Answer: JAMES BALDWIN
Your Answer: Baldwin
Points Assigned: 1

I figured it would be a good guess and it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment