Friday, November 18, 2022

Jesse Day 10

4/6

1. Two consecutive integers for which the sums of the prime factors of each integer are equal (such as 714 and 715) are a mathematical pair named in 1974 by University of Georgia mathematician Carl Pomerance after what two baseball legends?

Correct Answer: BABE RUTH, HENRY AARON
Your Answer: Ruth and Aaron
Points Assigned: 1

Seems easy if you know the homerun record had been 714 and was broke Aaron. Georgia was thrown in as a second clue. 

2. "Spanish 101", "Introduction to Film", "Home Economics", and "English as a Second Language" are titles of episodes from the first season of what sitcom, which aired on NBC beginning in 2009 (with a final season on Yahoo! Screen in 2015)?
Correct Answer: COMMUNITY
Your Answer: Community
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea they had a season on yahoo Screen, which made me doubt Community was right.

3. Identify the landlocked country that is bordered, going clockwise, by Sudan to the northeast, South Sudan to the east, DR Congo to the south, the Republic of the Congo to the southwest, Cameroon to the west, and Chad to the north.
Correct Answer: CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
Your Answer: Central African Republic
Points Assigned: 2

Why buy a brand name country! I have a friend who is a professor at Yale that is one of the foremost experts in the US on C.A.R. 

4. Arrangement in Gray and Black, No. 2: Portrait of Thomas Carlyle is a famous work (but probably the second-most famous "arrangement in gray and black") by what American-born painter?
Correct Answer: JAMES MCNEILL WHISTLER
Your Answer: Warhol
Points Assigned: 2

I was going to put down Whistler as there are only so many American artists I can name. Should have stuck with that. 

5. "Leatherback" is often used as the name of the largest living species of what animal, with some specimens weighing in at over 1,000 lbs.?
Correct Answer: (SEA) TURTLE
Your Answer: Sea Turtle
Points Assigned: 0

Feels like a gimmie. 

6. The period of political and social unrest on the Italian peninsula that began in the 1820s and resulted in the formation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861 is known by a word in Italian that has been translated to English as "resurrection" or "rebirth". What is that word?
Correct Answer: RISORGIMENTO
Your Answer: Renaissance
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea, knew my answer was very wrong, and I am glad I didn't take long to think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment