Monday, September 24, 2018

Jesse day 25

3/6

1. A spice used in the Middle East and India (particularly in naan), also known as kalonji, black caraway, black cumin, or onion seed, has a name that is also the first name of a famous cooking show host, cookbook author, and television personality. What is that name?

Correct Answer: NIGELLA
Your Answer: Padma
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Ah, I had a feeling Padma was wrong, but I did not put the time in to come up with Nigella. 

2. With over 23 million residents, what self-governing state is the most populous such entity, by far, that is not a member of the United Nations? From 2004 until 2010, it was home to the world's tallest building.
Correct Answer: TAIWAN/REPUBLIC OF CHINA
Your Answer: Taiwan
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I memorized the UN members back in my party days. 

3. "Beale fired—Obscenities Provoke Record Calls" is the headline and subhead of a fictional 1975 edition of the New York Daily News that appears in what film?
Correct Answer: NETWORK
Your Answer: Network
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I saw it in the past decade. 

4. There are two foundational stitches in knitting. The first is known simply as knit. What is the second, where the working yarn comes from the front side of the needle, and the needle enters the front of the stitch from right to left? Originally, the term referred to gold and silver thread used for embroidery.
Correct Answer: PURL
Your Answer: Gild
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Never heard of the term

5. Discussions between the United States and the Soviet Union, the first round of which concluded in 1972 and the second in 1979, and which were aimed at restricting the production and deployment of nuclear weapons, were known by what four-letter acronym?
Correct Answer: SALT
Your Answer: SALT
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I remember this from studying for the foreign service exam. 

6. In the darts games 301 and 501, a player's final throw, to achieve a score of exactly zero (the object of the game), must have what characteristic?
Correct Answer: DOUBLE
Your Answer: Bull eye
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I imagine I knew this in college.


No comments:

Post a Comment