Friday, September 23, 2016

Jesse v Dave Day 21

4/6 I have a feeling I am losing this one on defense.

1. Mars's reddish appearance (hence the "Red Planet") is due to the prevalence on the planet's surface of what oxide?
Correct Answer: IRON OXIDE
Your Answer: Iron
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie, right?

2. What was the emblem and nickname of the Progressive Party, a political party founded in the summer of 1912 by Republican Party dissenters favoring the nomination of Theodore Roosevelt over the incumbent W. H. Taft? It was derived from a quote from Roosevelt himself, referencing his own health.
Correct Answer: BULL MOOSE
Your Answer: Bull Moose
Points Assigned: 2

I am counting on Dave being a Kiwi and not knowing American history. May not be giving him enough credit here.

3. The name of what poet and prophet of legend appears in the titles of both a 1607 opera by Claudio Monteverdi and a 1762 opera by Christoph Willibald Gluck?
Correct Answer: ORPHEUS
Your Answer: David
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. Went with King David. 

4. The 1950 epic poem Canto General (General Song) is the work of what Chilean leftist, who won the Lenin Prize for Peace in 1953 and the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1971?
Correct Answer: PABLO NERUDA
Your Answer: Neruda
Points Assigned: 1

Only Chilean leftist poet that I know. 

5. What now-common term originated with brothers Chang and Eng Bunker, naturalized American citizens who died in North Carolina on January 17, 1874?
Correct Answer: SIAMESE TWINS
Your Answer: Siamese twins
Points Assigned: 1

The died the same day and have East Asian first names. Good question. 

6. Name any of the items on the table in this painting by Georges Braque, per the painting's title. LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/985y09vc85y098n65.jpg
Correct Answer: CANDLESTICK, PLAYING CARDS
Your Answer: Guitar
Points Assigned: 2

Damn, I looked at the image on my cell phone while in bed and was pretty sure I saw a guitar. Then I entered the answer on my desktop just now, surprised I was wrong. Looking it on a big screen I can clearly see the playing cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment