Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Jesse Day 24

4/6, But could have easily been 6/6 on an easy day


1. Journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates, poet Ellen Bryant Voigt, photographer LaToya Ruby Frazier, and playwright Lin-Manuel Miranda are among the 2015 recipients of the fellowship awarded by the private John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. This prestigious prize is best known, colloquially, as what?

Correct Answer: GENIUS GRANT
Your Answer: Genius Grant
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie, right?

2. Who portrayed the characters Mars Blackmon in She's Gotta Have It (1986), Half-Pint in School Daze (1988), Mookie in Do the Right Thing (1989), and Snuffy in Crooklyn (1994)?
Correct Answer: SPIKE LEE
Your Answer: Spike Lee
Points Assigned: 2

I got this because of Mars Blackmon and the Nike commercials. 

3. Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and Scandal are (or were) all successful network series created and produced by what television mogul?
Correct Answer: SHONDA RHIMES
Your Answer: Rhimes
Points Assigned: 1

This is all over TV, even though I have never seen any of these shows. 

4. Until relatively recently, this name was most closely associated with the sister and wife of Osiris and mother of Horus in the Egyptian pantheon (or, perhaps, a DC Comics superheroine). What is that name?
Correct Answer: ISIS
Your Answer: Isis
Points Assigned: 1

I had to think on this for a bit, but was obvious once it came to me. 

5. Who painted The Bus (pictured), which satirizes class divisions in Mexican society while recording a moment before a terrible accident that occurred in September 1925? LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/4985yc0984yn5034.jpg
Correct Answer: FRIDA KAHLO
Your Answer: Diego Rivera
Points Assigned: 3

Damn. My though process was, what was the name of Frida Kahlo's husband.  I thought about it for a while and remembered Diego Rivera. Well fuck. 

6. In the early 2000s, the Women's Health Initiative, launched by the U.S. National Institutes of Health, as well as the Million Women Study conducted in the UK, both found an increase in the likelihood of developing breast cancer (and other ailments) among women who were undergoing what treatment, resulting in a precipitous drop in its use?
Correct Answer: HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY (HRT)
Your Answer: Tanning beds
Points Assigned: 2

That actually popped into my head as I think I remembered hearing it on a sceezy lawyer commercial as something you could sue for. Then I thought it was something for people transitioning between genders. Then I got the question wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment