Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Jesse Day 8

5/6. Pretty easy day. I lost my last 5/6. Hoping that doesn't happen again today.


1. According to the popular nursery rhyme, Mary's garden grows with silver bells, pretty maids all in a row, and what else?

Correct Answer: COCKLE SHELLS
Your Answer: a green thumb
Points Assigned: 2

 I knew that it should rhyme with Bells, but didn't come up with shells. I sort of recall this rhyme. 

2. The 1997 boxing match that was billed as "The Sound and the Fury" but later became known as "The Bite Fight" was won by what fighter?
Correct Answer: EVANDER HOLYFIELD
Your Answer: Holyfield
Points Assigned: 1

Seems like a gimmie, right? 

3. The Strategic Defense Initiative, conceived and announced by President Reagan in March 1983 as a means of protecting the United States from Soviet attack via ICBM, was best known by what nickname?
Correct Answer: STAR WARS
Your Answer: Star Wars
Points Assigned: 0

If you are in your late 30's and American I also would think this was a gimmie.

4. Édouard Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergère, pictured here, features within it what is believed to be one of the first formally registered trademarks. It is a trademark for what brand? LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/59806uv0589.jpg
Correct Answer: BASS PALE ALE
Your Answer: Bass Beer
Points Assigned: 3

I recognized the red triangle. Hopefully I don't get docked for calling it beer rather than pale ale. 

5. Among mammals, echidnas possess a prominent distinction shared with exactly one other mammalian species. What is that other species?
Correct Answer: PLATYPUS
Your Answer: Platypus
Points Assigned: 1

I guess I know this from my time in Australian zoos?

6. What is, by far, the largest state in Australia as measured by land area? It comprises nearly one-third of the total area of the country and is itself larger than any country in Africa.
Correct Answer: WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Your Answer: Western Australia
Points Assigned: 2

I lived in Australia for a year and half, but I think I would have gotten this anyway because I love maps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment