Friday, September 16, 2016

Jesse Day 16

4/6

1. The name for what fundamental unit of matter was originated by American physicist Murray Gell-Mann, inspired by a line in James Joyce's Finnegans Wake?

Correct Answer: QUARK
Your Answer: Quark
Points Assigned: 1

I took several astrophysics for poets classes in college. One of my professors was on the team that discovered one of the quarks. I knew the answer wasn't atom, and quark sounded like something literary. 

2. The neck, forepillar, resonator, and strings are necessary components in virtually all European versions of what musical instrument?
Correct Answer: HARP
Your Answer: Harp
Points Assigned: 3

Total guess. I hope I didn't score this too highly. 

3. Who was the named petitioner in the first United States Supreme Court case in which the Court declared an act of Congress unconstitutional?
Correct Answer: WILLIAM MARBURY
Your Answer: Plessy
Points Assigned: 2

Damn. I was sure it was the case about whether taxes were legal and i could not think of the parties involved so I just put Plessy in knowing it was wrong. I could have gotten this if I dug deeper. 

4. In prosody, the study of poetic meters and verse form, a line whose final syllable is stressed or accented is described by what adjective? (Its opposite describes a line that ends in a stressless syllable.)
Correct Answer: MASCULINE
Your Answer: Sharp
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

5. The U.S. specialty grocery-store chain Trader Joe's is run by a company that also runs—and is named after—what German supermarket giant, noted for its rock-bottom prices and total lack of ambiance?
Correct Answer: ALDI
Your Answer: Aldi
Points Assigned: 0

I just knew this one.

6. In 1918, one of the six U.S. Army Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" biplanes modified for the purpose of delivering mail appeared, infamously (but perhaps fittingly), where?
Correct Answer: POSTAGE STAMP
Your Answer: On a stamp
Points Assigned: 1

Seems pretty easy. The famous upside down stamp worth a ton of money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment