5/6. Easy day?
1. When the third and fourth of its eleven letters are removed, the name of a US city becomes the name of an ancient board game, considered a precursor to checkers (draughts), that originated in the Middle East and was introduced into Europe by the Moors. Give the name of the city or the name of the game.
Correct Answer: ALBUQUERQUE/ALQUERQUE
Your Answer: Chattanooga
Points Assigned: 3
Correct Answer: ALBUQUERQUE/ALQUERQUE
Your Answer: Chattanooga
Points Assigned: 3
I just didn't have time to figure this one out through brute force. I wrote a bunch of cities in a numbered grid and the only 11 littered ones I can up with her Tallahassee, Cedar Rapids, Santa Monica and Chattanooga. And even then, I wasn't sure of their spelling. Never heard of Alquerque.
2. What band's eponymous 1985 hit album was in fact their eighth studio release but their first to be dominated by power ballads, including "What About Love", "Never", and "These Dreams"?
Correct Answer: HEART
Your Answer: Heart
Points Assigned: 1
2. What band's eponymous 1985 hit album was in fact their eighth studio release but their first to be dominated by power ballads, including "What About Love", "Never", and "These Dreams"?
Correct Answer: HEART
Your Answer: Heart
Points Assigned: 1
I am familiar with What About Love, otherwise, I had no shot.
3. Virginia Elliott and Robert Howard Jones's 1934 cookbook Soups and Sauces has one of the first known published recipes for a soup that replaces the milk in clam chowder with tomatoes and has what geographical name?
Correct Answer: MANHATTAN (CLAM CHOWDER)
Your Answer: Manhatten Clam Chowder
Points Assigned: 1
3. Virginia Elliott and Robert Howard Jones's 1934 cookbook Soups and Sauces has one of the first known published recipes for a soup that replaces the milk in clam chowder with tomatoes and has what geographical name?
Correct Answer: MANHATTAN (CLAM CHOWDER)
Your Answer: Manhatten Clam Chowder
Points Assigned: 1
Gimmie-ish. I don't want to eat either.
4. Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, Hygiea, Euphrosyne, and Interamnia are items in a very long list that could be described by a word that is the name of an arcade game released in 1979. What is that name?
Correct Answer: ASTEROIDS
Your Answer: Asteroids
Points Assigned: 2
4. Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, Hygiea, Euphrosyne, and Interamnia are items in a very long list that could be described by a word that is the name of an arcade game released in 1979. What is that name?
Correct Answer: ASTEROIDS
Your Answer: Asteroids
Points Assigned: 2
I knew Ceres was an Asteroid. Easy from there.
5. What man, who cofounded the Zimbabwe African National Union in 1963 and became its leader in 1975, was declared the country's prime minister in 1980 after ZANU won a landslide victory in the country's first post-independence elections?
Correct Answer: ROBERT MUGABE
Your Answer: Mugabe
Points Assigned: 2
5. What man, who cofounded the Zimbabwe African National Union in 1963 and became its leader in 1975, was declared the country's prime minister in 1980 after ZANU won a landslide victory in the country's first post-independence elections?
Correct Answer: ROBERT MUGABE
Your Answer: Mugabe
Points Assigned: 2
World politics gimmie.
6. In the 1983 Tom Cruise film All the Right Moves, Craig T. Nelson plays a character with what occupation (with which he would become even more closely associated a few years later)?
Correct Answer: COACH
Your Answer: Football Coach
Points Assigned: 0
6. In the 1983 Tom Cruise film All the Right Moves, Craig T. Nelson plays a character with what occupation (with which he would become even more closely associated a few years later)?
Correct Answer: COACH
Your Answer: Football Coach
Points Assigned: 0
After I saw the answer I was slightly concerned it was a basketball movie and I had been to specific but looked it up and it was indeed football as I had recalled.
No comments:
Post a Comment