Thursday, August 20, 2020

Jesse day 2

3/6 on what I thought was a hard day

1. "Because I could not stop for death" \ "I sometimes answer questions wrong" \ "A cap of lead across the sky" \ "The points I score are not enough" \ "A little dog that wags his tail" \ \ The preceding lines, some of which are first lines from poems by Emily Dickinson, all have four measures (tetrameter) and use what metrical foot?
Correct Answer: IAMB
Your Answer: Iambic
Points Assigned: 2

Iambic was the only guess I could come up with. I was close I guess. 

2. A 1999 novel, and also a 2003 film and a 2008 play both inspired by the novel, all share a name with (and have fictionalized plot points based on) a painting in the collection of the Mauritshuis art museum in The Hague. What is that name?
Correct Answer: GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
Your Answer: A Starry Night
Points Assigned: 2

I have never seen any of those. 

3. The memoir 100 Years, 100 Stories, released in the weeks between the author's hundredth birthday in January 1996 and his death in March of that year, is a collection of anecdotes chronicling the life of what comedian?
Correct Answer: GEORGE BURNS
Your Answer: Carson
Points Assigned: 1

Nope. I did not think of Burns, but it makes sense. My generation knew him for being very old. 

4. The northern New Jersey city of Carteret, which sits across the Arthur Kill from Staten Island, is named after Sir George Carteret, one of the two original proprietors of the colony of New Jersey. What more populous nearby city is named after his wife?
Correct Answer: ELIZABETH
Your Answer: Elizabeth
Points Assigned: 3

I only got this because I am from Northern New Jersey and even I wasn't absolutely positive of my answer. I can't see how anyone else outside of this area will get this. It's not like Elizabeth is well known. 

5. A golden, gem-encrusted statue made by the Knights of Rhodes as a gift for Holy Roman Emperor Charles V is a fictional film noir MacGuffin known by what name?
Correct Answer: THE MALTESE FALCON
Your Answer: Maltese Falcon
Points Assigned: 0

I was a film major, took a class specifically on Hitchcock and on top of that, I've been to Malta. 

6. A hemihydrate of calcium sulfate (2CaSO<sub>4</sub>·H<sub>2</sub>O), prepared by heating gypsum, has a common name that references a city where gypsum was once widely mined. What is that city?
Correct Answer: PARIS
Your Answer: Paris
Points Assigned: 1

I knew Gypsum was used in plaster. It took me a while to get there, but plaster of Paris was the best guess I could come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment