Friday, May 29, 2020

Jesse day 7

4/6


1. The lower case Greek letter α is represented in English as "alpha", β is "beta", and π is "pi". What name in English represents the Greek letter θ?
Correct Answer: THETA
Your Answer: Theta
Points Assigned: 0

I was regretfully in a frat in our next-door neighbor was Theta Chi, which I initially thought was pronounced ox., like the Babe the Big Blue Ox. 

2. Rembrandt and Caravaggio famously used what technique that involves the use of light and shading for dramatic effect, whose name comes from the Italian for "light-dark"?
Correct Answer: CHIAROSCURO
Your Answer: Scoffato
Points Assigned: 3

I could not pull it from my brain. 

3. The Cowsills, a singing group from Rhode Island composed of six siblings (and, eventually, their mother), along with their road manager Richard Korn, inspired what early-1970s television series?
Correct Answer: THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY
Your Answer: The Patridge Family
Points Assigned: 1

I have never seen an episode, but I am old enough that I still know it from popular culture.

4. An Italian-American named Pat Olivieri, who operated a hot dog stand in the 1930s in his hometown at the intersection of Wharton St., South 9th St., and Passyunk Ave., is credited, with his brother Harry, with creating what sandwich?
Correct Answer: (PHILLY) CHEESESTEAK
Your Answer: Cheesesteak
Points Assigned: 1

I live in the Philly suburbs. Pat's is still very famous. 

5. Japan's Tokugawa period, an era that began in 1603 and during which the country was under the rule of the Tokugawa Shogunate, is also known as the Edo Period. What, thanks to the Meiji government in 1868, is the name today of what was formerly "Edo"?
Correct Answer: TOKYO
Your Answer: Warring states
Points Assigned: 2

This was very gettable. 

6. What blockbuster film presents lengthy scenes featuring a bookish ichthyologist, a survivor of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, and a New York police chief?
Correct Answer: JAWS
Your Answer: Jaws
Points Assigned: 2

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remembered enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment