Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Brian Day 1 vs Seif

Welcome back everyone to even more socially distant trivia!  5/6 today, and I don't feel good about it.  Very hard to defend both opponents, as I thought the questions in their weak categories were gettable.

1)  Little Whinging.  No clue, though I see the Westminster Abbey connection makes this gettable.  I took a chance and gave Dave a 2 in his best category hoping there was a hole in his knowledge and with what I thought his chances were on other questions.  LL 2 / Seif 2
     -  Here's my first mistake of the day, down 2-0

2) Nelson.  Normally would give Dave a 3 for this music question, but I have to think even he has heard of Willie's status as a weed icon.  1/1
      - Here's my second mistake.  Down 2-1

3) Atom.  Up and atom!  1/0
     - Still down 2-1

4) Conmon Core.  Gimme for me, my wife teaches second grade.  So I might not know how well-known this is to the general public.  2/1
    - Down 3-2

5) Hull.   Hull popped into my head immediately.  I also considered Orr, but figured with two shots at a correct answer, Hull was a safer bet.  I wouldn't have gotten any of the others except maybe Jagr.  I wouldn't give Dave a 2 on baseball or football, but I'm hoping I'm safe here. 3/2
   - Very bad luck, but still, my third mistake, trailing 5-4 

6) Siam.  Clear reference to Anna and the King/ The King and I.  Absolutely hated giving Dave a 3 here, this is not that esoteric a literature/film/theater question, but I went with the percentages.  I worry there's something weird here like Siam is the only Asian country to have a king in the 1870s, and it will turn out to be a geography gimme for him. 0/3

 Phew!  Survived bad defense for a 7(5)-5(4) victory.  Well fought, Dave.


No comments:

Post a Comment