Monday, December 18, 2017

Jesse day 23

1/6 I think. Oof.

1. A 1434 portrait of Giovanni and Giovanna Arnolfini is a magnum opus of what Flemish master of the Northern Renaissance?

Correct Answer: JAN VAN EYCK
Your Answer: Rembrandt
Points Assigned: 0

Guessing this is the MCW and that I scored it poorly. 

2. The mysterious title character of what 1996 film was, as it turned out, a Hungarian aristocrat named László Almásy?
Correct Answer: THE ENGLISH PATIENT
Your Answer: The Usual Suspects
Points Assigned: 1

This is very gettable. I can't remember if I saw it, just the Seinfeld episode about it.

3. The name of what fictional American individual, possibly derived from that of a murderous English chimney sweep, from that of an archangel of death, and/or as a jolly euphemism for the underworld, fills in the blank in the slang expression of the form what in _____ _____ is going on here?
Correct Answer: SAM HILL
Your Answer: Sam Hill
Points Assigned: 1

I first thought Tarn Hill, decided that wasn't a thing, then thought Blue Blazes, then went with Sam Hill. 

4. "...[W]hen any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player's opportunity to catch the ball." Per the 2017 edition of the rulebook of the National Football League, the preceding quote is the definition of what penalty, which can be committed by either the offense or the defense?
Correct Answer: PASS INTERFERENCE
Your Answer: Holding
Points Assigned: 2

This was a bad miss by me. Should have thought a bit longer about this one. 

5. To distinguish it from another city, on the Oder River, the German city and commercial hub of Frankfurt has what official full name?
Correct Answer: FRANKFURT AM MAIN
Your Answer: Frankfurt on the Rhine
Points Assigned: 2

I have been to the airport, never the city. Very gettable. 

6. "On the Motion of Bodies," "The Motion of Bodies in Resisting Media," and "On the System of the World" are common (though not official) titles of the three sections of a work by Sir Isaac Newton published in 1687. This work is best known by what shortened, one-word title?
Correct Answer: PRINCIPIA
Your Answer: Physica
Points Assigned: 3

It was in the back of my head, but I didn't quite remember it correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment