Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Jesse day 15

5/6 Another pretty easy day. I am in danger of being promoted to B.


1. Gold Coast, a major tourist destination and Australia's sixth-most populous city, is located about an hour's drive southeast of what state capital city?
Correct Answer: BRISBANE
Your Answer: Brisbane
Points Assigned: 2

I've been there. 

2. In North America, edible varieties of rapeseed oil are not known by that name (unsurprisingly), but rather by what other name, which was originally a trademark but is now used generically?
Correct Answer: CANOLA
Your Answer: Canola
Points Assigned: 0

I just knew this. They are beautiful when in bloom. 

3. Perry the Platypus, a government spy and foil to the evil Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, is also the pet of the titular stepbrothers in what animated television series?
Correct Answer: PHINEAS AND FERB
Your Answer: Venture Brothers
Points Assigned: 2

I used to have an iphone game with Perry in it, but forgot the name of the TV show, which I have never seen.

4. What term was used and perhaps introduced into the English language in February 1813, in the name of a London society formed for the promotion of instrumental music? The society still exists today, and the term in question has, over time, become synonymous with a symphony orchestra?
Correct Answer: PHILHARMONIC
Your Answer: Philharmonic
Points Assigned: 1

It was a guess, but made sense.

5. Betelgeuse, Rigel, and Bellatrix are the Alpha, Beta, and Gamma stars of what constellation?
Correct Answer: ORION
Your Answer: Orion
Points Assigned: 3

Also a guess, but I had a feeling it was right.

6. What nonprofit cooperative, which still exists today, was formed in May 1846, when five New York City newspapers shared the cost of a pony express route through Alabama to expedite the transmission of news from the Mexican–American War?
Correct Answer: ASSOCIATED PRESS
Your Answer: Associated Press
Points Assigned: 1

Also a guess that seemed to make sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment