Wednesday, June 17, 2026

Jesse Day 22

3/6

1. What is the name for the musical structure in which refrains of an initial theme are separated by contrasting episodes, such as in the pattern A-B-A-C-A-B-A (though Genesis's Abacab does not, strictly speaking, fit the definition)? One of the most famous, both in form and in name, is Mozart's Turkish-inspired march published in 1784.
Correct Answer: RONDO
Your Answer: Rondo
Points Assigned: 0

I got this from the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Blue Rondo a la Turk. 

2. An agreement was struck in the U.S. in 1820 to simultaneously admit to the Union two new states, one with slavery and one without, in order to preserve a sectional balance in the Senate. What were these two states, which start with the same letter?
Correct Answer: MISSOURI, MAINE
Your Answer: Missouri and Maine
Points Assigned: 2

I knew right away that it was the Missouri Compromise. It was then a flip of the coin between Mississippi and Maine. 

3. What apparently arbitrary man's name was given by Del Close to the long-form improvisational-theater structure he helped develop in Chicago in the 1960s, still today a dominant long-form structure in improv, in which a single audience suggestion generates an extended performance with multiple interwoven narrative threads?
Correct Answer: HAROLD
Your Answer: Gary
Points Assigned: 1

I have never heard of this. 

4. Citing strategic, economic, and national interest reasons, what country announced in May 2026 that it would be leaving the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), of which it had been a member since 1967, before the country was even formally founded in 1971?
Correct Answer: UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (UAE)
Your Answer: United Arab Emirates
Points Assigned: 2

I have been following the war very closely due to the nature of my work. 

5. What spice takes its name from the Spanish word for "little pod"—and aptly so, as it is derived from the small seed pods of an orchid native to Spanish-speaking regions in Mesoamerica?
Correct Answer: VANILLA
Your Answer: Saffron
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea. I was tried to think of words like pequeno, or have an -ito at the end. Shoot, very gettable. 

6. Once its own British colony, Cape Breton Island was annexed in 1820 and remains today a part of which Canadian province?
Correct Answer: NOVA SCOTIA
Your Answer: Newfoundland
Points Assigned: 3

I was in the right area of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment