Friday, June 12, 2026

Jesse Day 19

2/6

1. Camp Nou, San Siro, De Kuip, Stamford Bridge, Alte Försterei, and Geoffroy-Guichard are all common names of facilities in Europe primarily associated with what activity?
Correct Answer: SOCCER/FOOTBALL
Your Answer: Brewing Beer
Points Assigned: 2

I don’t follow soccer. 

2. The forces of Italian unification leader Giuseppe Garibaldi did not adopt their trademark garments (and thus earn their common name) for ideological reasons. Rather, while organizing forces in Uruguay in the 1840s, Garibaldi was able to cheaply purchase a large surplus consignment intended for Argentine slaughterhouse workers. What were these garments, which gave his forces their name during the Risorgimento?
Correct Answer: REDSHIRTS (CAMICIE ROSSE)
Your Answer: Blue Shirts
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

3. What massively popular group, assembled during the 2010 season of the UK version of The X Factor, became a defining boy band phenomenon of the early social-media era, with fiercely loyal fan communities on Twitter and Tumblr propelling them to global fame?
Correct Answer: ONE DIRECTION
Your Answer: One Direction
Points Assigned: 0

I always associate One Direction with my wife and I living in DC in the early days. 

4. While black bears, sun bears, brown bears, polar bears, and grizzly bears are all proper bears (Ursidae), what "bear" is actually a stumpy microscopic animal in the phylum Tardigrada?
Correct Answer: WATER BEAR
Your Answer: Water Bear
Points Assigned: 1

Gimmie?

5. What word is used in some culinary circles to categorize cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, and is in fact the name of the taxonomic genus to which all of those plants belong?
Correct Answer: BRASSICA
Your Answer: Cabbage
Points Assigned: 3

I have heard the word before, but had no chance. 

6. What art movement, named derisively by critic Louis Vauxcelles in 1908, is most closely associated with the two close friends who pioneered it, and is also represented by works from artists such as Juan Gris, Fernand Léger, Jean Metzinger, and Albert Gleizes?
Correct Answer: CUBISM
Your Answer: Dada
Points Assigned: 1

Nope. I should have gotten this from Gris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment