Friday, June 5, 2026

Jesse Day 14

6/6. Got to catch 'em all! 

1. What game, developed by Niantic and based on their previous location-based game Ingress, shattered Apple's App Store record for most downloads in a launch week upon its release in July 2016?
Correct Answer: POKÉMON GO
Your Answer: Pokemon Go
Points Assigned: 1

I played this game for a week and nearly got run over by a car multiple times. It is the first and only game I deleted to protect my physical well-being. 

2. Starting from any point on Madagascar's western coast and sailing due west until you landed on the African continent, one would arrive in what other country?
Correct Answer: MOZAMBIQUE
Your Answer: Mozambique
Points Assigned: 0

I have spent some time in Mozambique. My company also runs a trip to Madagascar that I plan to take one day. 

3. "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." So begins what novel published in 1949?
Correct Answer: NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR
Your Answer: 1984
Points Assigned: 2

One of the few classics I have read since being out of high school. 

4. Technically speaking, any horse up to 14.2 hands (about 1.5 meters, or 4 feet 10 inches) in height at the shoulder is called a what, though the term is often used differently and more broadly?
Correct Answer: PONY
Your Answer: Pony
Points Assigned: 1

It was my best guess. Tried not to overthink it. 

5. Critic Nino Frank's August 1946 article "Un nouveau genre ‘policier': L'aventure criminelle", published in the magazine L'Écran français, contains the first documented use of what cinematic genre term, though it was not widely adopted until the 1970s and was applied retroactively?
Correct Answer: (FILM) NOIR
Your Answer: Film Noir
Points Assigned: 2

I was a film major, so this was easy. 

6. Mother Courage and Her Children, The Good Person of Szechwan, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, and The Threepenny Opera (with composer Kurt Weill) are major works of what German playwright and director, whose Epic Theatre movement was a contrast to the emotional realism of Russian director Constantin Stanislavski's "System"?
Correct Answer: BERTOLT BRECHT
Your Answer: Brecht
Points Assigned: 3

Brecht came to mind right away even though I know almost nothing about him. Glad that name was stuck in my brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment