Thursday, June 11, 2026

Jesse Day 18

4 or 5 right. 

1. Largely due to the absence of civilians, a strip of land has served for a little over 70 years as one of Asia's most intact temperate ecosystems, providing habitat for endangered red-crowned cranes, Asiatic black bears, musk deer, and hundreds of migratory bird species. This strip lies along the border between what two countries?
Correct Answer: NORTH KOREA, SOUTH KOREA
Your Answer: North Korea, South Korea
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie? I have been to the DMZ. 

2. What eight-letter name comes at the end, filling in the blank, in this sequential set of ancient Greek deities: Hermes, Aphrodite, (not applicable), Ares, Zeus, Cronus, Ouranos, [BLANK]?
Correct Answer: POSEIDON
Your Answer: Poseidon
Points Assigned: 2

I suggested a question like this to Thorsten in the past, but mine went a step further and got into the familial connections.

3. Despite a widespread misconception, according to the team, the "H" in what NHL team's logo actually simply stands for "hockey"? (Location and team name required.)
Correct Answer: MONTREAL CANADIENS
Your Answer: Carolina Hurricanes
Points Assigned: 1

I do not follow the NHL and the only H I could think of was Hurricanes. 

4. Nickelodeon's famous green slime originated on You Can't Do That on Television in the early 1980s, but became especially associated with the physical challenges on what game show that debuted in 1986?
Correct Answer: DOUBLE DARE
Your Answer: Double Dare
Points Assigned: 3

I am hoping my opponent is too young to get it. 

5. The sets for what 1927 film were so expensive and labor-intensive that its production costs, totaling 5,100,000 RM, nearly bankrupted Germany's UFA studios, making it one of the most financially disastrous film productions of its era?
Correct Answer: METROPOLIS
Your Answer: Metropolis
Points Assigned: 2

I was a film major, so this was in my wheelhouse. 

6. While "magical realism" is often associated with the Latin American literary boom of the 1960s and 1970s, a famous later example of the genre was the 1989 novel Como [BLANK] para [BLANK] by Mexican writer Laura Esquivel. What two words fill the blanks in order (either the original Spanish or the English translation is acceptable)?
Correct Answer: AGUA/WATER, CHOCOLATE
Your Answer: Like Water for Chocolate
Points Assigned: 1

I was so proud of myself for knowing the answer that I put the whole title in there. Guessing I will get credit for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment