Tuesday, June 16, 2026

Jesse Day 21

3/6

1. Liquitex, Golden, Pebeo, and Winsor & Newton are all art supply companies that produce popular lines of what primer used to prepare painting surfaces, whose name comes from an Italian word for "chalk" or "plaster"?
Correct Answer: GESSO
Your Answer: Stucco
Points Assigned: 1

I feel like this question has been asked before. 

2. Identify the city that was occupied by the Japanese from 1895 to 1945, became a government seat in 1949, grew rapidly from about 500,000 to over two million residents between 1950 and the mid-1970s, and is famous for its night markets and as a one-time home to the world's tallest skyscraper?
Correct Answer: TAIPEI
Your Answer: Seoul
Points Assigned: 2

I should have spent more time on this. I had just watched a video a few days ago about why Japan didn't keep Taiwan after WW2. 

3. Legend dating from the 16th century states that the lord of what Irish castle, through extreme loquacity, avoided acknowledging to a deputy of England's Queen Elizabeth that the castle's lands were held as a royal grant from the Queen, and not as a chieftainship?
Correct Answer: BLARNEY
Your Answer: Blarney Castle
Points Assigned: 0

Gift of gab. I haven't been to Blarney Castle. 

4. In the 1980s, Madonna appeared in five wide-release feature films, including Vision Quest, Desperately Seeking Susan, Shanghai Surprise, and Bloodhounds of Broadway. What 1987 film, for which she also recorded the title track, is the fifth?
Correct Answer: WHO'S THAT GIRL
Your Answer: Dick Tracy
Points Assigned: 3

I was so sure I was right! It looks like Dick Tracy was from 1990. 

5. What is the English translation of the nickname of Renaissance artist Giovanni di ser Giovanni Guidi, which was used as the name of the mutant rat who was the master of Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo (a.k.a. the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)?
Correct Answer: SPLINTER
Your Answer: Splinter
Points Assigned: 1

Gimmie for someone of my age. 

6. Baseball pitcher Randy Moffitt, who had a successful MLB career in the 1970s and early '80s for the Giants, Astros, and Blue Jays, was nevertheless perhaps better known as the younger brother of what other professional athlete and social justice pioneer? (First name required.)
Correct Answer: BILLIE JEAN (MOFFITT) KING
Your Answer: Billy Jean King
Points Assigned: 2

I could not think of anyone with the last name Moffit, so I went with the only non-black social justice pioneer I could think of from that time period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment