Thursday, December 8, 2022

Jesse day 21

1/6

1. What 1962 film adaptation of the book Seven Pillars of Wisdom belongs on a list that includes the films The Bridge on the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago, and A Passage to India?

Correct Answer: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Your Answer: Gentleman Prefer Blondes
Points Assigned: 2

I did watch Lawrence of Arabia on college, but Sevan Pillars of Wisdom did not trigger that in my brain. 

2. What name was shared by the Grand Prince of Moscow—who, after renouncing allegiance to the Tatars in 1480, was the first Russian monarch to call himself "tsar"—and his grandson, who became the first "tsar of all Russia" in 1547?
Correct Answer: IVAN
Your Answer: Ivan
Points Assigned: 0

This was a guess, but I knew it would have to be one of the big names.

3. The state in Southwest India once known as Mysore, which was given its current name of Karnataka in 1973, was formed in 1956, bringing together the populations of five predecessor states whose inhabitants spoke what language, which now has over 50 million speakers? The name of the language looks like it could be—but is not actually—a homophone of the name of an unrelated country.
Correct Answer: KANNADA
Your Answer: Tamil
Points Assigned: 3

I have never been to Southwestern India. I knew they spoke Tamil in Southeastern India. 

4. There are exactly three letters of the alphabet that are the first letter of the name of one (and only one) capital city of a US state. Name any one of those three capital cities.
Correct Answer: FRANKFORT, INDIANAPOLIS, NASHVILLE
Your Answer: Olympia
Points Assigned: 1

I was lazy and did not bother to list them all out. I started with the west coast and said screw it, O seems like an uncommon letter to start a state capital with. 

5. In the game of chess, the king and rook can move simultaneously along the back rank during a unique and specific move known by what name?
Correct Answer: CASTLING
Your Answer: The Electric Slide
Points Assigned: 1

Oh, right. I don't play chess, but even this I could have gotten. 

6. Name the woman who, since 2016, has served in a television hosting role previously held by Charles Osgood (from 1994 to 2016) and Charles Kuralt (from 1979 to 1994).
Correct Answer: JANE PAULEY
Your Answer: Curic
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment