Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Jesse Day 19

5/6. I am on a role in B. It looks like I won't get relegated. 

1. England defeated Pakistan on November 13 at the Grand Final of the 2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup, held at a cricket ground known locally as "the 'G". In what country (which was also that tournament's defending champion) is this iconic and enormous cricket ground located?
Correct Answer: AUSTRALIA
Your Answer: Australia
Points Assigned: 1

I was guessing this was the huge stadium in Melbourne. 

2. What words are missing from the title of the acclaimed 1989 Oscar Hijuelos novel [BLANK] Play Songs of Love, a rich and rhythmic immigrant story reflecting on the lives of two Cuban brothers and musicians? The missing words are the name of the brothers' band in the story and were used for the book's 1992 film and 2005 musical adaptations.
Correct Answer: THE MAMBO KINGS
Your Answer: Buena Vista Social Club
Points Assigned: 3

Nope. I forgot about Mambo Kings. 

3. Approximately 500,000 people were killed during a war between two countries that began in September 1980 and ended in a stalemate after a UN-brokered ceasefire in August 1988. Name either of the two countries that were the primary combatants in this war.
Correct Answer: IRAN, IRAQ
Your Answer: Iran
Points Assigned: 2

I was pretty sure this was the right war. 

4. While most of the attention around vaccines in 2021 pertained to COVID-19, in October of that year the World Health Organization approved the first vaccine for the prevention of what other disease, which kills nearly half a million people each year, including over a quarter million under the age of five?
Correct Answer: MALARIA
Your Answer: Malaria
Points Assigned: 0

I read about this and this is the only disease that kills that many young people. 

5. What roughly 3,000-kilometer-long river passes through or borders 10 different countries (including four capital cities), more than any other river in the world?
Correct Answer: DANUBE
Your Answer: Danube
Points Assigned: 2

I knew this piece of trivia and have been to a bunch of cities on the Danube. 

6. The distance between two marks on a platinum-iridium bar; 1/10,000,000th of the length of the quadrant of the Earth's meridian through Paris; the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458th of a second: all of these have historically been used to define what unit?
Correct Answer: METER
Your Answer: A meter
Points Assigned: 1

This is what made the most sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment