Monday, December 5, 2022

Jesse Day 18

5/6

1. The first major work of a certain 17th-century French architect, an innovator of a simplified Baroque style, was the north wing of the Château Royal de Blois, which featured the double-angled, high-pitched roof style named after him. What is that style?

Correct Answer: MANSARD
Your Answer: Mansard
Points Assigned: 2

I studied the history of architecture as a cluster in college. 

2. Scotsman John Boyd Dunlop, the founder of the Dunlop Rubber Company, invented the pneumatic tire in 1888. What other man, namesake of another prominent (and competing) company, discovered the process for the vulcanization of rubber around 50 years prior?
Correct Answer: CHARLES GOODYEAR
Your Answer: Goodyear
Points Assigned: 1

I was deciding between Firestone, Michelin, and Goodyear and guessed right. 

3. The first two releases by the Criterion Collection, which publishes "important classic and contemporary films from around the world", were LaserDisc releases in 1984 of legendary American films from 1941 and 1933. Name either of these films, both of which chronicle the downfall of their larger-than-life main characters.
Correct Answer: CITIZEN KANE, KING KONG
Your Answer: Citizen Kane
Points Assigned: 0

I knew Citizen Kane right away. Not sure if I would have gotten King Kong. 

4. Bandit, Chilli, and Bingo are the parents and younger sister of what colorful puppy, who is the title character of a popular Australian children's television series available in the United States on the Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney+?
Correct Answer: BLUEY
Your Answer: Bluey
Points Assigned: 2

I am aware of Bluey. 

5. While its contemporary German name is Siebenbürgen (for the "seven towns" that existed at its founding), in medieval times, a historical region in Eastern Europe was known in German as Überwald. Correspondingly, by what English (and for that matter, Latin) name is this famous geographic and literary region known?
Correct Answer: TRANSYLVANIA
Your Answer: Bohemia
Points Assigned: 3

My father is actually from Transylvania. I got thrown off as I wasn't expecting a place in Romania to have a contemporary German name. 

6. Bitter herbs; a roasted lamb or chicken bone; a roasted egg; a vegetable; and a honey, apple, almond, and wine paste are foods prescribed to be served at a meal known by what name?
Correct Answer: (PASSOVER) SEDER
Your Answer: Seder
Points Assigned: 1

This should play easy for our group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment