Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Brian Day 20

Was annoyed at first by too many clues being provided in two of the questions, making defense really difficult.  But then I got a 6/6 and I'm now mollified.  Today also featured my two favorite questions of the season.

1) Weather 2/2  I know The Weather Girls sing It's Raining Men. With 'raining' and 'forecast' both in the question, I expect this to play easy, but reluctantly gave high defense based on my opponents weaknesses.

2) Secant 1/3  Was not certain at all how a secant is defined outside of 1/cos, but I couldn't think of anything else.  

3) popcorn 0/0  'Red Bow' and a man who's the face of the product were more than enough to get to Redenbacher. I thought "state snack" was overkill.

4) Huron 1/2  First thought was Oneida Lake, but there's no peninsula in upstate NY.  So I went further north, and Lake Huron fit the bill.  

5) Sopranos 2/1  Love love love this question.  My thinking went like this: "1999, acclaimed pay cable tv series.  That's right around the time The Sopranos premiered. What else was on then that featured women?  Sex in the City?  No profession there.  Desperate Housewives? That was much later and on network tv.  Real Housewives, also too early for that, and is housewife a profession?  Army Wives?  Same problem.  Models Inc?  That was way earlier.  What else was big on cable then besides The Sopranos?  Designing Women? Way earlier, network tv.  Maybe some kind of chefs?  Wow, those are unusual names, all foreign, almost like they're made up to be intentionally ridiculous... Could these be the Powerpuff Girls?  I think it's too early for them, and is Cartoon Network pay cable?  I feel like it must be Cinemax, Showtime, or HBO, like The Sopranos... Time to re-read the question... Oh, it's one word from the title, not the entire title... Wait, does the show not have to be about these women, maybe they're real women who happen to have the job mentioned in the title of the show?  Okay, so, a show around the time of The Sopranos...D'OH!!!"   Because of my mental gymnastics, I'm not sure how hard this will play, but I suspect much easier than I made it out to be.  2/1

6) Teen Titans 3/1  Anytime there's a rare comic book question, it's bound to be one of my favorites.  This one even more so, as those who took my 1DS, Children of the 80s, https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?childrenofthe80s may remember question #8: After appearing primarily in cartoons for most of the 21st century, the superhero known as Cyborg had his biggest role to date in 2017's Justice League movie. But he made his first appearance in 1980 as part of what alliterative team of superheroes seen here?

No comments:

Post a Comment