Monday, May 17, 2021

Jesse day 1

Hey all, hope you are doing well. Good to be back. 4/6 to start. 

1. What is the name of the people who flourished on the desert coast of modern Peru beginning in 200 BCE, leaving behind enormous etchings (or "lines") on the surface of the desert before their absorption into the Huari empire by 800 CE?
Nazca, 1 point

I have been to the Nazca lines.

2. What common food item, of which the average American consumes over three pounds per year, has a name derived from the Greek for "pearl" and originally had that name with a prefix derived from the Latin for "(olive) oil"?
Olive, 1 point

I thought it was a bit of a trick question that Thorsten included the word olive in the question, as they are sort of pearl-like. I should have scored this much higher as this seems really hard to me. I would have never come up with margarine. 

3. Fill in the blank in this complete list: Muharram, Safar, Rabi Al-Awwal, Rabi Al-Thani, Jamada Al-Awwal, Jamada Al-Thani, Rajab, Shaban, _______, Shawwal, Dhul Qadah, Dhul Hijjah.
Ramadan, 2 points

I have never heard of any of those words, but Ramadan just ended so I was guessing they were possibly holidays. 

4. The gastrocnemius and soleus muscles are located in the part of the human body whose name is also the name of an entirely different type of animal (which, incidentally, doesn't really have this particular body part). What is this body part?
Calf, 2 points

I was going to just enter Ass, but they have asses. I thought a bit more and came up with calf. 

5. On March 24, 2021, what country, per an announcement by its health minister, became the first in the world (or at least, the first non-microstate) to fully vaccinate greater than half its population for COVID-19 (though not without controversy)?
Israel, 0 points

Feels like a gimmie, but I follow this closely because I am in the travel industry. 

6. In 1895's Moore v. United States, what term did the U.S. Supreme Court define as "the fraudulent appropriation of property by a person to whom such property has been entrusted, or into whose hands it has lawfully come"?
Larceny, 3 points

I knew I was wrong and knew the answer was gettable, but I have too much work to do today to think about this obsessively all day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment