6/6! First of the season!
1. A novel that is reportedly the most translated non-religious book in the world (probably now surpassed by The Little Prince, but almost certainly the most translated Italian book) is a story written in the 1880s by Carlo Collodi about what title character?
Correct Answer: PINOCCHIO
Your Answer: Pinnochio
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1
Correct Answer: PINOCCHIO
Your Answer: Pinnochio
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1
It was the first thing that came to my mind.
2. The process of boiling a liquid and condensing and collecting the vapor is best known by what term?
Correct Answer: DISTILLATION
Your Answer: Distilling
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0
2. The process of boiling a liquid and condensing and collecting the vapor is best known by what term?
Correct Answer: DISTILLATION
Your Answer: Distilling
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0
A science question even I can get.
3. Gen. George Washington's famous crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas, 1776, preceded a pivotal Continental Army victory in a battle the following morning that took place in (and is named after) what city?
Correct Answer: TRENTON
Your Answer: Trenton
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1
3. Gen. George Washington's famous crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas, 1776, preceded a pivotal Continental Army victory in a battle the following morning that took place in (and is named after) what city?
Correct Answer: TRENTON
Your Answer: Trenton
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1
Guessing this was the hardest question, but I am from NJ and knew the battle of Trenton was a thing. I considered Princeton and Camden too.
4. Charles Pathé, with his Pathé Freres company, is remembered today mostly as an early 20th-century leader in the world production and distribution of equipment in what industry?
Correct Answer: FILM
Your Answer: Film
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2
4. Charles Pathé, with his Pathé Freres company, is remembered today mostly as an early 20th-century leader in the world production and distribution of equipment in what industry?
Correct Answer: FILM
Your Answer: Film
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2
I was a film major and took a course on early silent cinema. I also interned at one of the world's most important film archives.
5. The Latin word for "trumpet" is, in English, a different but related musical instrument. What is that instrument?
Correct Answer: TUBA
Your Answer: Tuba
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3
5. The Latin word for "trumpet" is, in English, a different but related musical instrument. What is that instrument?
Correct Answer: TUBA
Your Answer: Tuba
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3
This was hard.I first put down Coronet, bur realized that didn't sound Latin. I then listed all of the instruments I could think of. I narrowed it down to Oboe and Tuba and went with Tuba.
6. What geological term is used for a mountain mass demarcated by faults and fissures, such as the highest point in Antarctica (named after long-time U.S. Representative Carl Vinson)? Another example is what was until recently believed to be the largest volcano on earth, located in the northern Pacific Ocean and named after Texas A&M University (Tamu).
Correct Answer: MASSIF
Your Answer: Massif
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2
6. What geological term is used for a mountain mass demarcated by faults and fissures, such as the highest point in Antarctica (named after long-time U.S. Representative Carl Vinson)? Another example is what was until recently believed to be the largest volcano on earth, located in the northern Pacific Ocean and named after Texas A&M University (Tamu).
Correct Answer: MASSIF
Your Answer: Massif
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2
I took an interest in mountaineering history after trekking in Nepal. I have a friend that has climbed the highest summits on each continent. I remembered it from both those sources.
No comments:
Post a Comment