Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Jesse Day 24

2/6

1. Algeria became Africa's largest country by area in 2011. What other country held that distinction immediately prior to Algeria's ascent to the #1 spot?

Correct Answer: SUDAN
Your Answer: Sudan
Points Assigned: 0

Sudan used to be huge!

2. In 2017, scientists at Peru's International Potato Center conducted experiments to grow potato plants in a hermetically sealed container fed by nutrient-rich water in an attempt to replicate and validate the environment from what 2015 film?
Correct Answer: THE MARTIAN
Your Answer: The Martian
Points Assigned: 1

I read the book too.

3. Name the singer, actor, and businesswoman whose Instagram account ranks #3 on the list of individuals with the most followers on the platform, at over 429 million—approximately 700 times the number for @stevemartinreally (incidentally, there does not appear to be an official account for Martin Short).
Correct Answer: SELENA GOMEZ
Your Answer: Grande
Points Assigned: 1

Darn, mixed them up. I have not watched the show yet, but it is on my list.

4. What is the name of the colorless and odorless hydrocarbon mixture first created by German chemist Carl Reichenbach in 1830, which revolutionized a candle industry theretofore reliant on rendered animal fat?
Correct Answer: PARAFFIN (PARAFFIN WAX)
Your Answer: Bhutane
Points Assigned: 2

I could not pull it. 

5. Gamer and live streamer Jynxzi predominantly plays a video game published by Ubisoft that is often referred to with the shorthand "R6S". What is the name of this video game?
Correct Answer: (TOM CLANCY'S) RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
Your Answer: Rainbow 6 Squad
Points Assigned: 2

I had a Rainbow 6 game for the original Xbox that I never got into. I guessed at squad. 

6. The 17th-century Baroque artist Artemisia Gentileschi's most famous work is likely one that depicts a gruesome scene where an individual's head is being involuntarily sundered from its body. Give the name of either the nearly headless man in this painting or the woman performing the deed.
Correct Answer: HOLOFERNES, JUDITH
Your Answer: John the Baptist
Points Assigned: 3

Never heard of either of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment