Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Jesse Day 15

4 or 5/6

1. A hendiadys is the expression of an idea using two independent words connected by "and" (e.g., "sick and tired", "nice and warm"). What hendiadys is used for a brand of candy-coated licorice cylinders—believed to be the oldest continuously produced branded candy in the United States?

Correct Answer: GOOD & PLENTY
Your Answer: Good and Plenty
Points Assigned: 1

Easy for an American of my age, bu I am playing someone who is currently (always?) in the UK. 

2. The Russian folk song "Korobeiniki" is the basis for the theme song of what massively popular video game, which was created by Alexei Pajitnov while he worked for the Soviet Academy of Sciences, was released for the Nintendo Game Boy in 1989, and is the subject of the 2011 documentary Ecstasy of Order?
Correct Answer: TETRIS
Your Answer: Tetris
Points Assigned: 0

I just watched the enjoyable Tetris movie. I remember buying a Gameboy so I could play Tetris. 

3. The international meeting known as the Dumbarton Oaks Conference, held at the namesake estate in Washington DC's Georgetown neighborhood, is remembered today largely for its role in the planning and formation of what?
Correct Answer: UNITED NATIONS
Your Answer: The United Nations
Points Assigned: 2

This was a guess. I first considered the World Bank or IMF, but for this to be a trivia question I figured it was something bigger. 

4. What Fox sitcom from the 1990s had a title character with the last name of Payne and starred an actor with the last name of Lawrence (who played other characters as well, including his mother Edna, a security guard named Otis, a hippie named Jerome, and a neighbor named Shenehneh)?
Correct Answer: MARTIN
Your Answer: Martin
Points Assigned: 1

My friend named his child Martin, which brings the theme song into my head every time I see him. 

5. "X is Y, Y X—that is all / Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." What words (in order) are represented by X and Y in this quote from John Keats's Ode on a Grecian Urn?
Correct Answer: BEAUTY, TRUTH
Your Answer: Life Short
Points Assigned: 2

I had heard it before, but could not pull it.

6. Composer Modest Mussorgsky's one complete opera is an intense and grim work about (and named after) what Russian tsar of the 16thâ€"17th centuries? A certain cartoon villain has a name that is a pun on this tsar's name.
Correct Answer: BORIS GODUNOV
Your Answer: Goodinov
Points Assigned: 3

I was pretty sure they were referring to Boris Badunov from Rocky and Bullwinkle. I had trouble with the spelling, and honestly have never heard of Gudunov, so the whole thing was a guess. I think will get credit for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment