Thursday, December 7, 2023

Jesse Day 16

1. Who decreed a stately pleasure dome in Xanadu, per the opening of a poem published in 1816?
Correct Answer: KUBLA KHAN
Your Answer: Kublai Khan
Points Assigned: 1

I got this through Citizen Kane.

2. Identify the Tuscan of the 12thâ€"13th centuries who learned of the "new" Arabic numerals during travels in North Africa and the Middle East, and helped popularize their use in Europe via a historic 1202 book describing the numeral system?
Correct Answer: FIBONACCI
Your Answer: Galileo
Points Assigned: 2

Polo was Venetian. Galileo was clearly not going to be right, but I think he was Tuscan. I did not think about Fibonacci, but I could have gotten it I think if I had taken my time. 

3. In a famous 1904 play and related works, Londoners George and Mary Darling are minor characters who have three children: sons John and Michael, and a daughter with what rare-at-the-time name?
Correct Answer: WENDY
Your Answer: Wendy
Points Assigned: 1

I feel like this will play easy.

4. In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11 a commemoration day with a name by which it was known from 1938, when Congress made it a federal holiday, until 1954, when it received its current name. What was this holiday's original name?
Correct Answer: ARMISTICE DAY
Your Answer: World War 1 Veterans' day
Points Assigned: 3

I did not remember that. 

5. What geographical term for a long and gradual curvature in a shoreline that forms a large, open bay is used in the name of the "Great Australian" one formed by that land mass's southern coastline?
Correct Answer: BIGHT
Your Answer: Bite
Points Assigned: 2

I don't know why I spelled it that way. I lived in Australia and I think there was a TV show called the Great Australian Bite. 

6. A "light-emitting" type is a well-known example of what device, a two-terminal electronic component that conducts current in one direction but not the other?
Correct Answer: DIODE
Your Answer: Diode
Points Assigned: 0

Feels like the easiest question of the bunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment