Friday, December 1, 2023

Jesse Day 12

4/6

1. Used as the title of a classic film noir from the 1940s, what two-word term denotes a feature of a life insurance policy according to which the insurer pays twice the policy's face value if the insured dies accidentally?

Correct Answer: DOUBLE INDEMNITY
Your Answer: Double Indemnity
Points Assigned: 2

When I hear noir, my first thought is Double Indemnity. I saw it so many years ago that I don't remember the plot, but it certainly sounds like an insurance term. 

2. What Hawaiian word means "to bake in the ground" and is used in the name of a popular pork dish traditionally prepared in such a manner (and is not to be confused with the similar sounding name of an unrelated liqueur)?
Correct Answer: KÄ€LUA
Your Answer: Kalua
Points Assigned: 1

It was the most Hawaiin-sounding liquer I could think of. 

3. A program of commercial educational materials that endeavors to teach children reading skills via letter-sounds correlations, introduced in 1987 and still in existence today, is sold under the brand "Hooked on" what?
Correct Answer: PHONICS
Your Answer: Phonics
Points Assigned: 0

Feels like a gimmie for Americans.  Maybe it will play harder for younger people? 

4. In an annual message to Congress in 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt identified four basic human rights he proclaimed as "Four Freedoms". Two were freedoms "of" (freedom of speech, freedom of worship), and two were freedoms "from"—name either of the latter two.
Correct Answer: WANT, FEAR
Your Answer: discrimination
Points Assigned: 2

I initially had fear and should have kept it. 

5. House Party, House Party 2, and House Party 3 are among the films starring what hip-hop pair from Elmhurst, Queens, born Christophers Reid and Martin?
Correct Answer: KID 'N PLAY
Your Answer: Kris Cross
Points Assigned: 3

Kris Cross came into my brain and I immediately entered it. I should have thought harder about this as I could have gotten it. 

6. What author, associated closely with the glitterati (and literati) of New York, was born in New Orleans and was the model for the character Dill in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird?
Correct Answer: TRUMAN CAPOTE
Your Answer: Capote
Points Assigned: 1

Seems like a well known piece of trivia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment