Friday, May 26, 2023

Jesse Day 5

4/6

1. The second-largest bank failure in history (at the time but since surpassed) and the largest since the 2008 financial crisis occurred in March 2023 affecting a bank located in, and named after, what geographical region?
Correct Answer: SILICON VALLEY
Your Answer: Silicon Valley
Points Assigned: 0

This feels like a gimmie if you pay attention to current events. 

2. New-world and old-world monkeys are distinguished and classified by the form of what part of the body, which is "flat" on new-world monkeys and "downward" on old-world monkeys?
Correct Answer: NOSE
Your Answer: Nose
Points Assigned: 2

This was a guess, but I thought I remembered hearing it before.

3. What is the common name of the device (the name originally a tradename owned by its namesake corporation but now genericized) which is sometimes known as an "autocue" (after Autocue, a UK-based manufacturer of the devices)?
Correct Answer: TELEPROMPTER
Your Answer: Laser pointer
Points Assigned: 3

I have heard the term before, but could not place it. My thought process was in British English a queue is a line, but that isn't the right spelling, so maybe it could be a pool cue, which is something you point at things. I did not think of cue, as in "when is the cue for my next line?" 

4. Thomas Gray, Thomas Parnell, Robert Blair, and Edward Young are often referred to as the [REDACTED] Poets, as their poems are frequently set in that location, with moods ranging from mournful reflection to profound doom. What word is redacted?
Correct Answer: GRAVEYARD/CHURCHYARD
Your Answer: Cemetary
Points Assigned: 2

Guessing this won't be accepted. 

5. Identify the city, regarded by some scholars as the historical nucleus of Russia, which was the center of the Rurik dynasty until the 13th century, was the capital of the Varangian-Russian principality, and is sometimes known as "the mother of Russian cities" (a potentially controversial assertion, given the city's location).
Correct Answer: KYIV
Your Answer: Kyiv
Points Assigned: 1

I was pretty sure it was Kyiv from the first half of the clue and then the second have clinched it. 

6. The player who won the MLB's league-wide Cy Young Award on three different occasions in the 1960s goes by the same first name as the winner of the 2022 National League Cy Young Award. What is that first name?
Correct Answer: SANDY
Your Answer: Sandy
Points Assigned: 1

I knew Sandy Koufax won three Cy-Youngs in the 60s. I knew Bob Gibson won 1 or 2 in the 60s as well, but was confident enough to go with Sandy. I don't follow the NL, but knew Verlander won in the AL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment