Thursday, March 10, 2022

Jesse Day 18

3/6

1. What is the term (or common abbreviation) for the method invented by American engineer Edwin Howard Armstrong by which radio waves are altered for broadcast signal transmission, which provided an advantage over its (still-common) predecessor due to its better signal-to-noise ratio?
Correct Answer: FREQUENCY MODULATION (FM)
Your Answer: FM
Points Assigned: 0

Seems like a gimmie.

2. What satirical title character from an early 1990s Disney animated comedy television series was the superheroic alter ego of unremarkable suburban avian Drake Mallard?
Correct Answer: DARKWING DUCK
Your Answer: Darkwing Duck
Points Assigned: 1

I did watch this back when there were not many options on tv. 

3. One of the best-known (and perhaps quintessential) works of modern video art, which has been met with wildly divergent critical and public opinion, is what seven-hour, five-film "Cycle" by American artist Matthew Barney?
Correct Answer: THE CREMASTER CYCLE
Your Answer: Clyde
Points Assigned: 2

Never heard of it. 

4. As published in the New York Charities Directory of 1917, what organization—incorporated six years prior—conceived as its mission to "make 12 million Americans physically free from peonage, mentally free from ignorance, politically free from disenfranchisement, and socially free from insult"?
Correct Answer: NAACP
Your Answer: Anti-defamation league
Points Assigned: 3

I was trying to decide between the ADL and NAACP. I went the wrong way. 

5. Khao San Road, a 1,345-foot-long travel hub that reportedly hosts the largest transient backpacker population in the world, is located in what city?
Correct Answer: BANGKOK
Your Answer: Bangkok
Points Assigned: 2

I have been there.

6. One player states a word and a number and nothing else (e.g. "breakfast, three"), and their partner subsequently begins pointing at cards lying on the table between them in a 5x5 grid. They are likely playing what popular game, designed by Czech game designer Vlaada Chvátil and published in 2015?
Correct Answer: CODENAMES
Your Answer: Codewords
Points Assigned: 1

I have this game downstairs but have not played in a few years. I just was careless and didn't think it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment