Monday, March 7, 2022

Jesse Day 15

3/6

1. What is the first name adopted in the 1980s by the prolific African American designer and fiber artist born Sherilyn Bailey? It's taken from the name of a 3rd-century queen of Palmyra, making Bailey today arguably the most successful artist in history whose first name begins with "X" (in place of the "Z" with which her royal namesake's name is usually rendered)?
Correct Answer: XENOBIA
Your Answer: Xora
Points Assigned: 3

Xora the explore? 

2. In every US presidential election starting 1952 and ending in 2004, there was either a Bush, a Dole, or a Nixon on the GOP ticket, except for one year. Give the name of either of the Republicans on the national ticket in that exception year. (Note, answer with a name, not the year.)
Correct Answer: BARRY GOLDWATER, WILLIAM MILLER
Your Answer: Goldwater
Points Assigned: 0

I was pretty sure that Nixon wasn't Goldwater's running mate. 

3. 19th-century German anatomist Paul Langerhans spent the most significant period of his career conducting pioneering research into what organ?
Correct Answer: PANCREAS
Your Answer: Heart
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea.

4. The Bull, the Banana Split, the Skunk, the Caterpillar, and the Mallard were the last four eliminated (with the Queen of Hearts earning the victory) on the most recently completed season of what reality competition television series?
Correct Answer: THE MASKED SINGER
Your Answer: The Masked Singer
Points Assigned: 1

I have never seen the show, but this seems right. 

5. What term was coined by Mark Twain in the title of his 1873 novel, which satirized the materialism and loosened business and political morals in the decade following the American Civil War?
Correct Answer: THE GILDED AGE
Your Answer: The Gilded Age
Points Assigned: 2

I just knew this one. 

6. Completed in 2012, a 2,080-foot-tall structure known as Skytree—currently the tallest tower in the world and second-tallest structure after the Burj Khalifa—dominates the skyline of what city?
Correct Answer: TOKYO
Your Answer: Taipai
Points Assigned: 2

I was last in Tokyo in 2006. Surprised I did not know this one. My opponent will probably score this a 0 for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment