Friday, February 25, 2022

Jesse day 9

5/6 Several educated guesses. 


1. The fictional small town of Haddonfield, Illinois, is the primary setting for what film series, which kicked off in 1978, and whose convoluted course of sequels continued in 2021 and is scheduled to end in 2022?
Correct Answer: HALLOWEEN
Your Answer: Halloween
Points Assigned: 1

I have never seen a Halloween movie but I figured it must be a horror film and Halloween seemed to fit the dates.

2. What early high-level computer programming language, an all-purpose symbolic instruction code aimed at beginners, was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College by John Kemeny and Thomas Kurtz?
Correct Answer: BASIC
Your Answer: BASIC
Points Assigned: 1

Aimed at beginners made me immediately think of BASIC. I was concerned their names had something to do with it, but could not think of another computer language that incorporated their names. 

3. American Flo Hyman was considered one of the greatest players in the world in what sport when she was tragically felled by a ruptured aorta caused by Marfan Syndrome, during a match in Japan in January 1986?
Correct Answer: VOLLEYBALL
Your Answer: Vollyball
Points Assigned: 2

I figured she was really tall because of Marfan. I think I would have heard of her if it is was basketball, so that left volleyball as my best guess. 

4. An Italian poet born in 1783 with the first name of Gabriele gave his last name to his famous English-born children Dante Gabriel (who helped found the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), Christina Georgina (among the most prominent poets of her day), and William Michael (an acclaimed critic and editor). What was that last name?
Correct Answer: ROSSETTI
Your Answer: Alligeri
Points Assigned: 2

I thought I had a chance. 

5. US airmen pursuing release from active duty during WWII claiming mental instability are deemed ineligible, as such a request demonstrates their mental fitness. This scenario is central to what 1961 novel?
Correct Answer: CATCH-22
Your Answer: Catch 22
Points Assigned: 3

I read this just a few years ago. 

6. The "Imperial Cities of Morocco"—the country's four historical capitals—are Rabat (the current capital), Meknes, Fez, and what fourth, which, in fact, is the name of the country itself in some languages?
Correct Answer: MARRAKESH
Your Answer: Marrakesh
Points Assigned: 0

I've been to the royal palace there and my non-profit runs multiple Morocco trips each year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment