Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Jesse Day 3

4/6. My match today is with a female competitor with very different strengths than mine, so scoring was hard to figure out. 

1. The phrase "…And I took that personally," a widely memed line from a 2020 documentary miniseries, is associated with what man? (He doesn't actually use that line at any point in the documentary, though he suggests the sentiment many many times.)
Correct Answer: MICHAEL JORDAN
Your Answer: Michael Jordan
Points Assigned: 1

I watched the full documentary series. I feel like this became a well known meme. 

2. In chemistry, there are two major types of chemical bonds: one in which atoms are joined by an electrostatic charge, and another in which atoms share a pair of electrons. The former are ionic bonds; the latter are most commonly known as what?
Correct Answer: COVALENT BONDS
Your Answer: Covalent
Points Assigned: 0

I don't know much about chemistry, but I knew Covalent was the answer. I feel like this has come up before in past LLs. 

3. Gertrude Stein's modernist novel, completed in 1911 but not published until 1925 (perhaps because it had little commercial interest, approaching 1,000 pages and containing neither plot, nor action, nor dialogue), is titled The Making of what? The missing word describes the characters in the book as well as the members of Stein's family after whom the characters are based.
Correct Answer: AMERICANS
Your Answer: Money
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea.

4. Driving for 25 minutes west-northwest from the European city of Malmö, one would arrive in what other city?
Correct Answer: COPENHAGEN
Your Answer: Copenhagen
Points Assigned: 2

I lived in both Malmo and Copenhagen in 2004 and would commute between them to play ultimate. 

5. The Report of the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force, an official study of US defense policy commissioned in 1967 to examine American involvement in Southeast Asia, is today (and since 1971) more commonly known by what name?
Correct Answer: THE PENTAGON PAPERS
Your Answer: Pentagon Papers
Points Assigned: 1

I feel this is well known. 

6. A roasted poblano pepper stuffed with cheese (and also perhaps diced meat, nuts, and/or cinnamon), then dipped in eggs and flour and deep-fried in oil—this is a basic recipe for what delectable dish that originated in the Mexican city of Puebla?
Correct Answer: CHILE RELLENO
Your Answer: Menudo con Queso
Points Assigned: 2

I don't eat spicy food, so I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment