Friday, June 21, 2024

Jesse Day 23

3/6 A pretty hard day I think. 

1. Flowering plants (angiosperms) are divided into two classes based on the number of seed leaves present. Those with one seed leaf have a name with the prefix "mono-", whereas those with two begin with "di-". What four-syllable word completes the names of these two classes?

Correct Answer: COTYLEDON
Your Answer: Foliumnal
Points Assigned: 3

I don't remember ever hearing this word. 

2. British artist Barbara Hepworth's sculpture Single Form, which is on public display in the United Nations Plaza in New York, was commissioned as a memorial to what man, a Swede and friend of Hepworth's who perished in a plane crash in September 1961?
Correct Answer: DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD
Your Answer: Hammerskold
Points Assigned: 1

I know this because I used to work near Dag Hammarskjold plaza in NYC. Otherwise I probably would not have been able to remember that name. 

3. A famous artwork by the artist Hieronymus Bosch has, in the artist's native Dutch, a traditional title that ends with the word lusten ("lusts"). The painting is housed in Madrid's Museo del Prado, where the title ends with the word delicias. In English, the piece's common modern title ends with what two words?
Correct Answer: EARTHLY DELIGHTS
Your Answer: deadly sins
Points Assigned: 2

I have seen this painting in person, but could not remember the title. I also think I may have confused it with another of his paintings. 

4. Ntozake Shange's 1982 novel Sassafrass, Cypress, & Indigo is a story of three sisters and the other members of their South Carolina family who belong to what ethnic group, which predominantly inhabits the state's Lowcountry and Sea Islands?
Correct Answer: GULLAH/GEECHEE
Your Answer: Indian
Points Assigned: 2

Nope.

5. On the TV sitcom Parks and Recreation, Ron Swanson's mother and both of his ex-wives share a name that also belongs to the title character of a 2014 film starring Melissa McCarthy. What is that name?
Correct Answer: TAMMY
Your Answer: Tammy
Points Assigned: 0

I am watching parks and rec with my daughter now so this is fresh on my mind. 

6. According to a rap written by British American documentarian Louis Theroux in 2000, which went viral in 2022 (thanks in part to an appearance on Chicken Shop Date with Amelia Dimoldenberg), his "money don't jiggle jiggle, it" does what instead?
Correct Answer: FOLDS
Your Answer: Folds
Points Assigned: 1

I listened to this a few times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment