Monday, March 18, 2024

Jesse day 25

4/6 Have a great off-season!

1. In addition to its various international editions, Bravo's Real Housewives franchise has had 12 American installments, famously including New York, New Jersey, and Beverly Hills, but starting where in 2006?

Correct Answer: ORANGE COUNTY
Your Answer: Orange County
Points Assigned: 1

I have never seen an episode, but I was able to recall this. 

2. According to a formal declaration by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster in February 2024, what is it permissible to end a sentence with?
Correct Answer: PREPOSITION
Your Answer: Hashtag
Points Assigned: 2

Ah, I was hung up on it being a character. 

3. The ninth and final version (layer IX) of what ancient city, located on the Anatolian Plateau near the mouth of the Dardanelles, was ruined by earthquakes in approximately 500 CE, marking the ultimate end of around 4000 years of occupation?
Correct Answer: TROY/ILIUM
Your Answer: Troy
Points Assigned: 0

I have been there. My opponent today is a teacher who has traveled through my company often. I decided it wasn't ethical to look up whether she had been on our Turkey trip already. 

4. A 1994 advert in the UK theatre newspaper The Stage asked, "R.U. 18-23 with the ability to sing/dance? R.U. streetwise, outgoing, ambitious, and dedicated?" This ad was the genesis of what global juggernaut?
Correct Answer: SPICE GIRLS
Your Answer: Spice Girls
Points Assigned: 1

I first thought it might be a boy band, but I could not think of a British boyband, other than Westlife (my wife is a big fan and saw them in concert in NYC on Saturday night), and I don't think many people have heard of Westlife. Then I remembered the Spice Girls. 

5. The MLB pitcher who finished the 1968 season with a 22รข€"9 record and 1.12 ERA and the outfielder who finished the 1988 World Series 1 for 1 with one home run and two RBIs share what last name?
Correct Answer: GIBSON
Your Answer: Gibson
Points Assigned: 2

I would have been able to get it with only half the clue either way. 

6. What is the \ poetry \ item un- \ listed but \ core in a \ certain col- \ lection that \ also has \ iamb and \ trochee and \ spondee and \ anapest?
Correct Answer: DACTYL
Your Answer: Pantameter
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment