Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Jesse day 12

3/6

1. Name the American evangelist who was the inspiration and prototype for the character Sharon Falconer in Sinclair Lewis's Elmer Gantry (1927) and Mrs. Melrose Ape in Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies (1930), as well as Sister Alice in the 2020 HBO Perry Mason reboot.
Correct Answer: AIMEE SEMPLE MCPHERSON
Your Answer: Jones
Points Assigned: 3

I watched the Perry Mason reboot, but I had no idea.

2. What word, common in nephology (the study of clouds), is also used for the halo that surrounds the heads of sacred individuals in religious artwork?
Correct Answer: NIMBUS
Your Answer: Corona
Points Assigned: 1

I had nimbus originally and then switched to Corona. 

3. What literary term, originally used in the Middle Ages for tales of chivalry and adventure before taking on its modern connotation, is derived from the vernacular languages in which these popular tales were written?
Correct Answer: ROMANCE
Your Answer: Quest
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

4. The Castilian ballads, Andalusian fandangos, and Galician panpipes in the 1955 installment of folklorist Alan Lomax's World Library Of Folk And Primitive Music inspired what 1960 jazz masterpiece by Miles Davis, who kicked off the album with the sixteen-minute "Concierto de Aranjuez"?
Correct Answer: SKETCHES OF SPAIN
Your Answer: Sketches of Spain
Points Assigned: 2

I have this album. 

5. The multinational risk advisory and insurance brokerage Willis Group (Willis Towers Watson as of 2016) is famous for, in an edificial sense, supplanting in 2009 what American corporation?
Correct Answer: SEARS
Your Answer: Sears
Points Assigned: 0

Feels like it could be a gimmie. 

6. The port and military station Ceuta, famous as one of the world's territorial exclaves, is located at the eastern end of what strait?
Correct Answer: STRAIT OF GILBRALTAR
Your Answer: Gibralter
Points Assigned: 1

I mangled the spelling. I crossed from Spain to Morocco by ferry to Tangier back in 2004, but I considered going into Ceuta instead. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment