Thursday, August 27, 2026

Jesse Day 14

5/6

1. "Signor Leone, I have just had the chance to see your film. It is a very fine film, but it is my film." This is a quote from a letter sent from Akira Kurosawa to Sergio Leone, in reference to the latter's unofficial spaghetti western remake of the former's 1961 samurai film. Name either of these two films.
Correct Answer: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, YOJIMBO
Your Answer: A Fistful of Dollars
Points Assigned: 0

I studied this is film school, but could not quite remember the particulars. I knew it wasn't Seven Samurai, which was the Magnificent Seven, and not a Leone film. I figured A Fistful of Dollars was the best bet as it was the first in the trilogy. 

2. What standard color of modern printing is named after a battlefield in northern Italy, from the Second Italian War of Independence in 1859? It was originally named fuchsine and is indeed similar to the color fuchsia.
Correct Answer: MAGENTA
Your Answer: Magenta
Points Assigned: 2

Lucky guess! I thought of purple shades, and Magenta didn't seem to be flower-based.

3. The Pyramid Stage, and also arguably vast quantities of mud, are trademarks of the music festival originally called the Pilton Pop, Blues & Folk Festival in 1970, and now named after what nearby market town in the southwest of England?
Correct Answer: GLASTONBURY
Your Answer: Glastonberry
Points Assigned: 1

I knew Isle of Wight was named after the whole Island, so Glastonbury was the next thing to come to my mind. 

4. Simone de Beauvoir's famous line "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman" opens Volume II of her 1949 book on gender roles as a learned social construct rather than biological destiny. The book's title labels women as The [BLANK] Sex. What word fills the blank?
Correct Answer: SECOND
Your Answer: Second
Points Assigned: 2

I had heard of this somewhere, but this was still a guess.

5. What word, used for the SI unit of illuminance (defined as one lumen of luminous flux incident on one square meter), is coincidentally also the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 country code for a European nation?
Correct Answer: LUX
Your Answer: Lux
Points Assigned: 1

Luxembourg came to me quickly. 

6. While its product line today spans handbags, leather goods, shoes, accessories, watches, jewelry, and fragrances, what eponymous luxury brand built its early reputation in the 1850s with its innovative flat-topped stackable trunks that revolutionized long-distance travel at the time?
Correct Answer: LOUIS VUITTON
Your Answer: Dior
Points Assigned: 3

I have not listened to any of the Acquired episodes on luxury brands such as LVMH and Hermes. Darn. Listening to the Formula 1 episode now. Amazing podcast if you don't listen already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment