Monday, June 16, 2025

Jesse Day 25

4/6. I think I am getting promoted back to B. 

1. In 1912, a Massachusetts pharmacist developed an "organoleptic test" in which pepper extract was diluted until its burn disappeared. This dilution factor became a "heat unit" named after this pharmacist. What was his name?
Correct Answer: WILBUR SCOVILLE
Your Answer: Scoville
Points Assigned: 0

I knew it before Hot Ones became a thing, but now I think this is a gimmie. 

2. Clauses known commonly as the Citizenship Clause, Privileges or Immunities Clause, Due Process Clause, and Equal Protection Clause make up the first section of which Amendment to the US Constitution, ratified in July 1868 and the second of the three Reconstruction Amendments?
Correct Answer: FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT
Your Answer: 14th
Points Assigned: 1
The 13th Amendment ended slavery, so I figured that would be the first of the three. So I guessed 14th and was right. 

3. What company is named for the typically most challenging climb of a mountain, and has a logo inspired by Half Dome in California, where the company was founded?
Correct Answer: THE NORTH FACE
Your Answer: North Face
Points Assigned: 1

Hopefully this is OK without the The. 

4. One US state capital city has a name which is cognate with one of the most populous cities in South America. Name either city.
Correct Answer: ST. PAUL/SÃO PAULO
Your Answer: Saint Paul
Points Assigned: 2

I have traveled through much of South America (including Sao Paulo) so went country by country in my head. Started with the west coast and recognized that Santiago and San Diego were cognates, but San Diego isn't a state capital. That primed me for Sao Paulo. 

5. The name of the display technology CRT, now obsolete with advent of cheaper and more advanced technologies, is an abbreviation of what three-word phrase?
Correct Answer: CATHODE RAY TUBE
Your Answer: Carbon Radio Tube
Points Assigned: 3

I know my answer was wrong, but could not pull it. 

6. In tennis, the extra side lanes used in doubles play (which are out of bounds in singles play) are referred to by what term, which is also used for the type of facility where an unrelated sport is played?
Correct Answer: ALLEY
Your Answer: Pitch
Points Assigned: 2

I was considering bowling, but thought bowling lanes for some stupid reason instead of an alley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment