Friday, November 18, 2016

Jesse Day 5

3/6 on a hard day.

1. What is the name used for the modernist architectural style, pioneered by Philip Johnson, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, the Bauhaus school, and others, that is characterized by architecture as volume (vs. mass), emphasis on regularity in the façade (vs. symmetry), and zero applied ornamentation? Dominant in the mid-20th century, the style took its name from a 1932 exhibition curated by Johnson and Henry-Russell Hitchcock at New York's Museum of Modern Art.
Correct Answer: INTERNATIONAL STYLE
Your Answer: International Style
Points Assigned: 3

I took three architecture classes in college. They pay off occasionally. 

2. What Roman Catholic writer from (and of) the rural American South first achieved wide regard as a master of the short story form via her collection published in 1955 as A Good Man is Hard to Find?
Correct Answer: FLANNERY O'CONNOR
Your Answer: Lee
Points Assigned: 2

Nope. I went with Harper Lee because I could not think of Margaret Mitchel's name, which would have also been a wrong answer. 

3. Jude Law, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Jack Davenport played characters who were murdered (while Gwyneth Paltrow's and Cate Blanchett's were almost murdered) in what 1999 film?
Correct Answer: THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY
Your Answer: The Talented Mr Ripley
Points Assigned: 0

I saw this movie and was the only time I remember Law and Hoffman together in a film with lots of murder. 

4. Ariel, Umbriel, Belinda, Titania, Oberon, Puck, Miranda, Caliban, Prospero, Ophelia, Cressida, Desdemona, Portia, and Rosalind, along with exactly thirteen others, are all names of what?
Correct Answer: MOONS OF URANUS
Your Answer: Muses
Points Assigned: 2

Nope, I had no idea.

5. The largest privately owned house in the United States was commissioned by George W. Vanderbilt and erected on a vast estate of 125,000 acres near Asheville, NC. Designed by Richard Morris Hunt and completed in the 1890s, the estate is known by what name?
Correct Answer: BILTMORE
Your Answer: Biltmore
Points Assigned: 1

I've been there! Actually I've been to the entrance but not actually to the mansion. My wife and I were on a road trip in NC and only had a few hours to see it. When we got to the ticket office the price was super high so we decided to skip it. 

6. What prolific patron of art, literature, and architecture was installed at Versailles in 1745, and for her final 20 years influenced state policy while assuming virtual control of public affairs during the reign of Louis XV?
Correct Answer: MADAME DE POMPADOUR (JEAN ANTOINETTE POISSON)
Your Answer: Marie-Antoinette
Points Assigned: 1

Nope. I am terrible with all royalty questions. I just don't care about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment