Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Jesse Day 3

I realized after I submitted and looked at the blog that Steiny was my opponent. I also put up a 4/6, got the same questions wrong and marked them for the same amount of points. Looks like a tie. I'll take it. 


1. While sloe gin is a liqueur made by infusing gin with berries of the sloe bush, gin itself is a liquor flavored predominantly by the berries of what other, coniferous plant?

Correct Answer: JUNIPER
Your Answer: Juniper
Points Assigned: 2

I knew this, figured it might trip someone up. 

2. The landing operations (specifically) for the largest seaborne invasion in history—the June 1944 Allied assault of the French region of Normandy—were fittingly codenamed after what Roman deity?
Correct Answer: NEPTUNE
Your Answer: Neptune
Points Assigned: 1

Seems like a gimmie as long as you can keep your Greek and roman gods differentiated. 

3. Give the full name (given name and surname) of the composer and violin teacher who wrote several concertos and symphonies, including Die musikalische Schlittenfahrt (but perhaps not the "Toy Symphony" sometimes credited to him), and became court violinist at Salzburg in 1743, though he's surely most famous as a musical dad.
Correct Answer: LEOPOLD MOZART
Your Answer: Gary Mozart
Points Assigned: 3

Nope. Haven't seen Amadeus in a while. 

4. The transfer of what musical from London's West End to Broadway in 1991 proved difficult in part because few New York houses are large enough to accommodate a set that includes a life-size helicopter?
Correct Answer: MISS SAIGON
Your Answer: Miss Saigon
Points Assigned: 1

I remember ads for this while growing up and there was a helicopter in them. 

5. What is the medical term for the inflammation, caused most often by a viral infection, of the membrane that surrounds the lungs and lines the thoracic cavity?
Correct Answer: PLEURISY/PLEURITIS
Your Answer: Pneumonia
Points Assigned: 2

Got to be the MCW. Never heard of the answer. 

6. What word is obscured by the red box in this image? LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/948y50nc9.jpg
Correct Answer: CRUISER
Your Answer: Cruiser
Points Assigned: 0

Pretty easy if you know ships or battleship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment