Thursday, November 17, 2016

Jesse Day 4

3/6


1. American swimmer Michael Phelps holds the record for most career Olympic gold medals, with 23. Give the last name of any one of the five athletes who are tied for second place, with nine.

Correct Answer: BOLT, LATYNINA, LEWIS, NURMI, SPITZ
Your Answer: Spitz
Points Assigned: 0

My second guess would have been Bolt. 

2. According to the lyrics of an international hit rock song from 1976, one can dial 36-24-36 to procure, at an affordable cost, what title service?
Correct Answer: DIRTY DEEDS (DONE DIRT CHEAP)
Your Answer: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Points Assigned: 2

Good song.

3. Ross, Filchner-Ronne, Amery, Larsen, Riiser-Larsen, Fimbul, Shackleton, and George VI are all geographical features associated with Antarctica. They are all a type of feature defined by what two-word term?
Correct Answer: ICE SHELF
Your Answer: Ice Shelf
Points Assigned: 1

I knew of the Ross and Larsen Ice Shelves. 

4. What great-granddaughter of Henry VII reigned as the Queen of England for nine days in 1553, before her forced abdication in favor of Mary I (and subsequent imprisonment in the Tower of London, and beheading)?
Correct Answer: LADY JANE GREY
Your Answer: Elizabeth
Points Assigned: 2

Nope. I am awful with British royal history. 

5. In the film Marathon Man, what precisely is the three-word question Dr. Szell (Laurence Olivier) asks Babe (Dustin Hoffman) during his torturous interrogation with a dental probe?
Correct Answer: IS IT SAFE?
Your Answer: Who did it?
Points Assigned: 3

I don't think I ever saw Marathon Man. 

6. Hong lou meng, a 19th-century work by Cao Xueqin that is considered China's greatest novel, is usually translated to English in part as Dream of the Red what?
Correct Answer: CHAMBER
Your Answer: Kite
Points Assigned: 1

I have heard of it, but could not recall the name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment