Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Jesse Day 3

4/6

1. What Hulu-produced series was nominated in each of its first four seasons (beginning in 2017) for an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series, still today the only Hulu series to receive a nomination for that award? Its one win among the four, in 2017, was the first series from any streaming service (Hulu or otherwise) to win the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy.

Correct Answer: THE HANDMAID'S TALE
Your Answer: The Handmaid's Tale
Points Assigned: 2

We have had Hulu for a while, and I could not think of any other prestige dramas that started that early. I stopped watching during the second season as it was too grim for me. 

2. It is generally agreed (though it has never been explicitly revealed) that Rev. Al Sharpton is the model for the preacher/activist Rev. Reginald Bacon in what satirical 1987 novel?
Correct Answer: THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
Your Answer: Bonfire of the Vanitys
Points Assigned: 2

This was a guess.  I have read the book or seen the movie. But I must have heard this bit of trivia somewhere to make that guess. 

3. The scientific prefix "oo-" typically indicates what, per the prefix's Greek etymology?
Correct Answer: EGG
Your Answer: Radioactvity
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea, and still have no idea. 

4. One British dandy helped transform Bath into a spa town in the 1700s, and another cultivated a friendship with the Prince Regent (the future King George IV) and defined English men's high fashion in the early 1800s. Both men went by what first name?
Correct Answer: BEAU
Your Answer: Henry
Points Assigned: 1

Nope. I still have no idea about Beau.  Will have to look this up along with egg. 

5. "Lifecasting" is a term that was popularized in part by a website and platform called justin.tv (named after and originally featuring cofounder Justin Kan), which ultimately spawned what still-existing service?
Correct Answer: TWITCH
Your Answer: Twitch
Points Assigned: 0

One of my best friends is close friends with the wife of one of the founders of Twitch. I met him at their wedding. Anyway, I heard this bit of trivia on a podcast a while back, but I can't remember which one. 

6. The 17th hole of the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, is often cited as one of the most iconic golf holes in the world and is the best-known with what particular distinction? This distinction is a two-word phrase by which the hole is commonly referred.
Correct Answer: ISLAND GREEN
Your Answer: Island Green
Points Assigned: 3

I follow pro disc golf closely and we have island greens too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment