Tuesday, September 16, 2025

Jesse Day 21

4/6

1. American academic and civil rights advocate Kimberlé Crenshaw is credited with coining what 17-letter word, in a 1989 paper in which she decribes the overlap in various forms of inequality (such as race, gender, social class, immigrant status, and sexuality) and how they can have cumulative and exacerbating effects?
Correct Answer: INTERSECTIONALITY
Your Answer: No idea
Points Assigned: 2

I know of the word, but I could not pull it. 

2. What poetic form, once defined in ancient Greece and Rome by its specific meter and alternating hexameter and pentameter lines, by the 17th century came to describe a formal verse lament for someone who had died?
Correct Answer: ELEGY
Your Answer: Elegy
Points Assigned: 1

Initially had requiem, changed it to eulogy, then changed it to elegy last moment. 

3. The 1931 film The Front Page was the first big-screen adaptation of the 1928 play of the same name, but the second, a breakneck-paced 1940 adaptation, had what other title—reflecting the change in gender of the reporter character (played in 1940 by Rosalind Russell)?
Correct Answer: HIS GIRL FRIDAY
Your Answer: No idea
Points Assigned: 3

I have never seen it. 

4. The island of Anglesey is the largest in the Irish Sea by area. What Irish Sea island is the most populous?
Correct Answer: ISLE OF MAN
Your Answer: Isle of Man
Points Assigned: 2

Total guess. 

5. What structure is depicted on the reverse of the U.S. $5 note, corresponding to the figure on the obverse?
Correct Answer: LINCOLN MEMORIAL
Your Answer: Lincoln Memorial
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie?

6. GameStop Corp. adopted that name in 1999, but the company traces its roots to 1983, when it was founded under a different name honoring the English inventor who originated the concept of a digital programmable computer. Who was this mathematician, who died in 1871?
Correct Answer: CHARLES BABBAGE
Your Answer: Babagge
Points Assigned: 1

I remember Babbaggs from when I was a kid. I did not realize that they turned into GameStop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment