Monday, September 15, 2025

Jesse Day 20

4/6

1. The most abundant type of antibody in human blood and extracellular fluid is known as IgG (uppercase I, lowercase g, uppercase G). What does the "Ig" refer to in this abbreviation?
Correct Answer: IMMUNOGLOBULIN
Your Answer: Imuno-globular
Points Assigned: 3

I sort of had the right word in my head. Didn't quite make it. 

2. Led Zeppelin, Cream, and The Jeff Beck Group were all successful acts that were founded in the 1960s by former guitarists of what other band?
Correct Answer: THE YARDBIRDS
Your Answer: The Yardbirds
Points Assigned: 2

I think this plays hard, but this happens to be the sweet spot of my music knowledge. 

3. In a car's suspension system, shock absorbers ("shocks") provide damping. What similar component also provides damping but, unlike shocks, is a structural part of the suspension?
Correct Answer: STRUTS
Your Answer: Struts
Points Assigned: 0

I had no idea what struts were, but I have heard them mentioned with shocks in Meinke ads. 

4. "Stormy Weather" was the signature song of what legendary singer, dancer, and civil rights activist, who won a special Tony award in 1981 for her acclaimed one-woman show The Lady and Her Music? In 2022, the Brooks Atkinson Theatre was renamed for her, making it the first Broadway theater named after a Black woman.
Correct Answer: LENA HORNE
Your Answer: Ross
Points Assigned: 2

Lena Horne was the first person to come to my mind, but I thought she may have been born too long ago to be doing a one-woman show in 1981. I almost answered shirley Bassey, not being entirely sure who she was. Then decided on Diana Ross. 

5. What city of roughly 200,000 in the Basque region of northeast Spain swells to well over one million during the Festival of San Fermín every July?
Correct Answer: PAMPLONA
Your Answer: Pampalona
Points Assigned: 1

I figured this was the running of the bulls.

6. "Ye Emperors, Kings, Dukes, Marquises, Earls, and Knights, and all other people desirous of knowing the diversities of the races of mankind, as well as the diversities of kingdoms, provinces, and regions of all parts of the East, read through this book..." So begins the prologue to Il Milione, by whom?
Correct Answer: MARCO POLO
Your Answer: Marco Polo
Points Assigned: 1

Considered Dante and Machiavelli, but the quote led me to Polo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment