Thursday, December 9, 2021

Jesse Day 21

4/6

1. What military slang for an unspecified and obscenely early hour in the morning entered broader consciousness via a 2012 film thriller?
Correct Answer: ZERO DARK THIRTY
Your Answer: Zero Dark Thirty
Points Assigned: 1

I spent a minute thinking of war films and once Zero Dark Thirty popped into my head I knew it was right. 

2. While the Wright brothers' first flight famously took place in 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, they developed the technology in what Midwestern city, where the brothers lived and operated a bicycle shop?
Correct Answer: DAYTON
Your Answer: Milwaukee
Points Assigned: 3

I had read about this just the other day, that it had turned into a bakery and was in danger of being torn down. Maybe Atlas Obscura. Either way, for some reason I thought it was Milwaukee.

3. 15 players per side vs. 13; five points for a try vs. four; three points for drop goals and penalties vs. one and two respectively; certain applications of post-tackle procedures, scrums, and lineouts—these are among the differences between rugby union and what other, quite similar sport?
Correct Answer: (RUGBY) LEAGUE
Your Answer: Rugby League
Points Assigned: 2

I knew this from my time living in Australia. 

4. One word (or two homophones, as the spellings can vary) can be used both for a certain musical instrument in the lute family and for a certain kitchen julienner. What is that word?
Correct Answer: MANDOLIN/MANDOLINE
Your Answer: Mandoline
Points Assigned: 0

I have had a mandoline accident. 

5. The German architect Walter Gropius, a pioneer of the international modern style of architecture, served from 1919 to 1928 as the director of what school of design (which closed in 1933 under pressure from Nazi authorities)?
Correct Answer: BAUHAUS
Your Answer: Bauhaus
Points Assigned: 1

I feel like Bauhaus comes up a lot in trivia. I went to the Bauhaus museum many years ago when I was in Berlin. 

6. 1985's Radio, with its breakout single and boombox paean "I Can't Live Without My Radio", was the debut LP from what rapper, who has achieved significant later-career success as a television actor and host?
Correct Answer: LL COOL J
Your Answer: Ice T
Points Assigned: 2

Nope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment