Wednesday, September 8, 2021

David S. Day 21 & Day 22 vs. Mirkin (LLL)

Shana tova!

Day 21:

5/6, done with advance access a week ago.

1. Prosecco :(, D12.  No clue, but great question.

2. Spinal column :), D10.  Seemed like the best guess by far, though I wasn't certain.

3. OPEC :), D21.  Gimme.

4. Follies :), D33.  Was thrilled to get this.  Two Sondheim-related questions in two days.  This seriously raised my theater QPct.

5. Injunction :), D02.  This was marked correct despite the answer being listed as writ.  It was a guess based on terms I'd heard.  Perhaps this was accepted because the question was a bit vague.

6. DuBois :), D21.  Was pretty sure he had a doctorate from Harvard, so that made it the clear guess.  Also not many other good guesses I could think of, so not much of a choice what to put.

Day 22 vs. Mirkin (LLL):

3/6 with a bad miss in there.

1. Fly a kite :(, D03.  I had no idea at all.

2. Epoque :(, D20.  Bad miss here.  I wrote the answer and then just moved on, but I confused the term "belle epoque" with "grand siecle."  Hopefully this draws the D0 so it won't hurt me.

3. Exacta :), D12.  I thought of trifecta for the top 3 right away, but I had to think about this for a while.  Once it hit me, I was pretty certain it was right.

4. Siam :), D21.  This one took me a long time, and I'm really glad to have gotten it.  Spent most of my time thinking about Europe before moving to Asia.  Finally got to Siam/Thailand and figured that had to be it.

5. Cheers :(, D12.  Nope!

6. Focus :), D31.  Math/science gimme.

No comments:

Post a Comment