Friday, December 16, 2016

Jesse Day 22

3/6

1. A mechanical device from the 16th century that uses a series of adjustable mirrors and lenses to project a scene in a darkened space to aid in painting or drawing was known as camera ottica, but is better known as what other "camera"?
Correct Answer: CAMERA OBSCURA
Your Answer: Obscura
Points Assigned: 1

I was a film major and even made one of these in high school. 

2. In what language is the following sentence written? Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
Correct Answer: WELSH (CYMRAEG)
Your Answer: Welsh
Points Assigned: 1

I know Welsh when I see it. I also happen to live in the main line suburbs of Philadelphia where many of the town have Welsh names such as Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore  Bala Cynwyd and Bryn Mawr.

3. What 1990s television series began with the title character, Cory Matthews, as a sixth-grader who navigates his pre-teen years alongside his best friend, Shawn, and his future wife, Topanga? They all pass through high school and into college during the show's original seven seasons.
Correct Answer: BOY MEETS WORLD
Your Answer: Boy Meets World
Points Assigned: 0

A little after my time, but it is referenced in popular culture enough that I knew the answer. 

4. While it may sometimes include small amounts of other metals, brass is primarily an alloy of what two metals—often in roughly a 2-to-1 ratio (though proportions can vary significantly depending on use)?
Correct Answer: COPPER, ZINC
Your Answer: Copper and Tin
Points Assigned: 2

Darn. I just didn't know.

5. The mathematical notation log<sub>e</sub> x is accurate but is more often expressed in what other manner?
Correct Answer: ln x (NATURAL LOG)
Your Answer: 1
Points Assigned: 2

I had no clue. 

6. The Uruguayan urban guerrilla group Tupamaros were named after an 18th-century Peruvian Indian revolutionary, who himself had adopted the name of the last Incan ruler (from whom he claimed descent). What is that full name (first and last)?
Correct Answer: TÚPAC AMARU
Your Answer: Johnny Tupamaros
Points Assigned: 3

No clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment