Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Jesse day 19

4/6

1. The first son of Jacob and Leah and progenitor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel has a name that also commonly appears (unrelatedly) on delicatessen menus. What is that name?
Correct Answer: REUBEN
Your Answer: Rueben
Points Assigned: 0

My wife loves Reubens. One of the first deli things I thought of and it was a name. I really hope someone puts Dagwood down as an answer.

2. While the building today houses the most important collection of paintings in Italy, its original purpose when commissioned in 1560 was to house the government. What is this museum, whose name translates to English as "offices"?
Correct Answer: UFFIZI
Your Answer: Uffizi
Points Assigned: 3

I visited the Uffizi in 2013. For a breif moment I considered the Capitoline museum, but was pretty sure that did not translate into office. 

3. Of the four main islands of Japan, which is the farthest north?
Correct Answer: HOKKAIDO
Your Answer: Hokkaido
Points Assigned: 1

I've been to japan so know the names of the major islands.

4. What automotive engineer (and famous automotive name) developed the Volkswagen Beetle and the classic Mercedes-Benz SSK, not to mention various Nazi military vehicles?
Correct Answer: FERDINAND PORSCHE
Your Answer: Porshe
Points Assigned: 1

There are only so many german auto companies. My first thought was Audi, but then Porshe came to mind. 

5. In the game Scrabble, what is the sum of the point values on the tiles used to play the word SCRABBLE (as displayed on many standard Scrabble boards)?
Correct Answer: 14
Your Answer: 16
Points Assigned: 2

Nope. I actively avoid playing scrabble. 

6. What was the derogatory epithet used to describe whites of the southern United States who cooperated with occupying forces from the North during the post-Civil War Reconstruction era?
Correct Answer: SCALAWAGS
Your Answer: Carpetbagger
Points Assigned: 2

Oh, so that is what that term means. I considered Yankee Doodle Dandy, but went with Carpetbagger even though I was pretty sure that was an insult for a Northern who moved to the South after reconstruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment